DIGITAL CLOSE-UP QUESTION

edsantosam

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello. I am an antiquarian bookseller, and as such, often have to take photographs of old and rare books. I am wondering if any of you might be kind enough to advise me on the purchase of a new digital camera -- one that is very simple to use and capable of taking crisp and clear photographs of text and images in books. Preferably I could use this as a general camera too and of course I would prefer it not be expensive. Right now I use a simple Olympus Stylus, but don't quite get the quality of image I need. I would be enormously grateful for any help, guidance, or tips any of you might be able to provide. Thank you.

Just about any modern digital camera should do the trick as it is more about how you light the objects and less about the camera. I was recently reading a review of the Canon s95 which is a compact camera for about $400 with good features. A price range would make a recommendation easier, plus it would help to know how you frame the shots to know if depth of field is an issue. What is the destination for the final image? Screen, print, Internet?

Just about any modern digital camera should do the trick as it is more about how you light the objects and less about the camera. I was recently reading a review of the Canon s95 which is a compact camera for about $400 with good features. A price range would make a recommendation easier, plus it would help to know how you frame the shots to know if depth of field is an issue. What is the destination for the final image? Screen, print, Internet?
Thanks so much for your help. My ideal price range would be under $300, but I would stretch it if need be. I have never done anything special with lighting, though I can learn. The most important things to me are clarity of image (taking a picture of say, text, or a 17th century plate in a book and have it be clear) and ease of use. While I love photography, this isn't a time in my life when I have a lot of time to learn new information; I simply need it to work and be easy. Thank you again for your kind help. I really appreciate it and I look forward to hearing from you.

Hello. I am an antiquarian bookseller, and as such, often have to take photographs of old and rare books. I am wondering if any of you might be kind enough to advise me on the purchase of a new digital camera -- one that is very simple to use and capable of taking crisp and clear photographs of text and images in books. Preferably I could use this as a general camera too and of course I would prefer it not be expensive. Right now I use a simple Olympus Stylus, but don't quite get the quality of image I need. I would be enormously grateful for any help, guidance, or tips any of you might be able to provide. Thank you.

Just how "simple" is your Stylus ? (which model is it?)

"Simple" isn't all that bad and "advanced" might not be "better".

Look without prejudice:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/45413264@N04/4179013773/

I'll tell you what camera I used later.

....While I love photography, this isn't a time in my life when I have a lot of time to learn new information; I simply need it to work and be easy. Thank you again for your kind help. I really appreciate it and I look forward to hearing from you.

Unfortunately, photography of the type you want is much more involved than most people realize. Crisp and clear is a byproduct of photographer skill and knowledge, more so than buying a new camera.

Most reactions

Back