Digital File Size/Resolution

But at the end of the day clients will go to whoever offers the best deal.
You're probably talking about the average buyer, and buyers that live pay check to pay check.

There are people out there that look for the best - regardless the price.
Those are the 15% of the people in the US that have 85% of the money.
Those are the people retail photographers need to market and promote to.

Today most retail photographers go out of business in a very short period of time because their prices are TO LOW for them to stay in business, let alone make an income.

That's probably true. But at the same time I genuinely believe that printed product-oriented just isn't a good business plan. I think that there is definitely room in retail photography for licensing that can meet clients expectations without under selling oneself.

I do not think most people will be willing to buy $1250-worth of digital files, this is compounded by the fact that you can get a decent scanner for less than $50. Is it illegal, you bet it is. Does that matter? No. At the end of the day, you're out $1250 and you have no control over the quality of the images and no real say in how the files are being used. If you try claim your copyright, you're screwed again. It sucks, it's total victim-blaming, but it's true. You cannot win like this.

Ultimately it's the entrepreneur's challenge to make it in existing markets. The reality of today's market is, one, clients are demanding flexible licensing, and two, people are willing to and feel justified in stealing from you. How you navigate these challenges is up to you - but failing to meet these challenges is why businesses go under. For some, they fail to make it by charging too little. Others fail to by charging too much for products that people don't want. For a few they fail because they have a sense of right and wrong and get burned for it. It's unfortunate. But the end result is that they failed.

retail photographers today that make an income of well over $50,000 a year?

Seriously, 50k??? I had truck drivers making better than that 15 years ago, and they had no investment in anything. The metro population of our area is about 80,000. There are two studios that have been in business in excess of 20 years, they do great work, but they aren't cheap, don't try to be. Not sure what their income is, but I'm pretty sure it's well in excess of 50k, knowing their lifestyle. Then we have an over abundance of "wanna be's" operating out of their house that will charge you a $25 sitting fee, and a low cost package Chances are they'll be gone by next month, talking about how bad it is, because they can't make a living at it. After 45 successful years in business I can tell you that the biggest mistake an entrepreneur can make is to undervalue their product/service, just so they can reach a market segment. You need to research your market "before" you jump in. If you can't expect a reasonable return for your time and investment, you'd be better off doing something in life that can earn you a good income. That way you'll have extra to spend on what's really important in life like new photography equipment :biggrin-new:

Yes. Seriously.

According to US Department of Labor statistics fewer than 15% of US photographers make income of $50,000 a year or more. Most of that 15% are commercial photographers, not retail photographers.

Most retail photographers in the US do not make income above minimum wage.
And most of the retail photography businesses that are able to stay in business are only able to stay in business because the business is supported with other income.
In a lot of cases that additional income comes from spouse income or a 'day' job.

I don't think you can make it even at 50k annual income. Tax, insurance, expenses, etc would quickly reduce that to 20k and that is basically poverty level in many US cities. :eek:

Most retail photographers in the US do not make income above minimum
wage.

That's sad because it doesn't have to be, there are jobs out there in the field that pay a decent wage. Pulled these off Salary dot com - Photographer (media) $59k, Photographer (scientific) $45k, Photographer (biomedical) $52k, and the list went on and on. It may not be exactly what you want to do, but if you're working for a client you're not free either. You have to decide if it's a hobby or a career and act appropriately.

Have some good friends, the wife is an artist that has made a very good income over the years. It's paid for a nice house, and 45' MH to travel to showings. Another mutual friend asked her one time if she'd paint a picture to hang over his fireplace. She told him politely but firmly "you can't afford it"

Last edited:
None of those are retail photography jobs

Didn't say they were "retail photography", I said they were "photography" jobs. Wasn't disputing you what you were saying about "retail photography" pay, I said it was "sad" that anyone with a specialized skill set would stay in that position, when there were other avenues open to practice "photography" and make a decent living.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back