Digital Nikon, Film Canon

tenlientl

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I got into photography with Digital(Nikon), but I also wanted to try film. Anyways. It's probably not a huge deal to have a Nikon and a Canon, right?

I was just offered a 50mm 1.4, Canon AE1, 133A flash, teleconvert, Vivitar 75-205mm f/3.8 and a tripod for $100 and even though I'm kinda broke, saving up for a SB-600, I still think it's a good deal.

Any one still uses the Canon AE1? I need old lenses if I ever want to have a different focal range, right? Or can I use the new ones?

Thanks.

The AE-1 was (and could still be) a great camera. One of the most popular SLR cameras ever.

The AE-1 is a manual focus camera and uses Canon FD lenses (or any lens with the FD lens mount).

When Canon introduced their auto focus (EOS) cameras, they changed their lens mount...so new lenses are not compatible with the older cameras and older lenses are not compatible with newer cameras.

Now, if you got a nikon film camera from the same era, the lenses would be compatible.

Make a decision! You can't shoot both... It's like being Republican and Democratic at the same time... It just doesn't work. lol I'm just kidding. Mike is right. If you get a Nikon film, you'll be better off. You will be able to use the same lenses. less money in the end. But, it's always fun to play with old film cameras. I have an old Minolta that I shoot with a lot....

Yea. I was also thinking about my current Nikon lenses. The thing is though, it's for $100 so I figured "Why the hell not. It's a film camera and I always wanted to learn film. Too bad I don't have access to a dark room atm, but nevertheless, it's a cheap deal."

I actually havn't inspected the camera yet. You guys got any tips?

Actually of the lenses that you have listed, the only one that will work with a Nikon film camera is the 50mm anyway. Don't worry about it. Buy it, use it, sell it. Or keep it. When you go to look at it, just make sure that it works properly. Make sure the shutter sounds smooth when it clicks. If you don't feel comfortable just take it to a camera shop and have them look it over.

$100 may or may not be a 'great deal' for all that. E-bay is full of similar sounding kits for around the same price. Of course, I still see ads in my local paper, from people trying to sell AE-1 cameras for $300 a pop :roll:

$100 may or may not be a 'great deal' for all that. E-bay is full of similar sounding kits for around the same price. Of course, I still see ads in my local paper, from people trying to sell AE-1 cameras for $300 a pop :roll:
Just found one this morning on my local CL for $125.00

The Canon AE-1 is a good camera, Canons FD lenses are inexpencive and optically great, there is no reason to turn down an AE-1 to shoot film with, unless it's broken, in that case look for a Canon EF.

To elaborate on what Mike_E said, Sticking with Nikon enables you to utilize the same lenses from your Film camera to your Digital, What he was saying is, it would cost you less to invest in one lens mount for two camera formats than it would to invest in two one lens mounts for individual camera formats in the long run. What Mike does not go on to say is Nikons decision to stick with the same mount has kept their lenses in higher demand than any other manufacturer that said Nikons Lenses cost more per lens reguardless of it's age. A Nikon Manual focus 50mm 1.4 will run you around $300 wile a Canon FD Manual focus 50mm 1.4 will run you around $30 at the cost of incompatability from film camera to digital (this applies to Canon film to digital as well).

The question here is what is it that you want,

Do you want to be able to use the lenses you invest in on both formats at the cost of aquisition price?

or

Do you want to be able to afford multiple lenses at the cost of useability?

I my self own and shoot multiple brands of camera including both Canon and Nikon, it's my personal oppinion that buying lenses on different mounts for use with specific cameras is not going to kill anyone. I've been doing it for years and it's not over drawing my check book, and I make less than minimum wage.

In the end the decision is your to make.

Yea. My local ad has lots of AE-1 for cheap.

So what's a classic Nikon 35mm? Nothing too expensive. Is there an "AE-1 Nikon" equivelent? Coz see, I don't really want to invest too much with film(just yet). Paying $100 or so for a camera and lens seems really good atm.

How does buying film for these work? Are they easily bought?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back