digital slides?

If SVGA (800 x 600 pixels, or half a megapixel) is all the resolution you want, and you are happy with a contrast ratio of only 1200:1 then that NEC will be OK. Meanwhile Alpha and I are debating whether a 4k, an 8k or a 16k film recorder (10, 40 and 160 megapixels, contrast ratio 6000:1) is good enough.

Best,
Helen

:D

I know most of the cheaper films I worked on scan at 4k. For example Jimmy Neutron and etc. Some of those were even upsampled from 2k plates. Higher budget films and ritzy TV commercials tend to use 8k. I personally haven't noticed many productions using higher resolutions than 8k - But I guess there are. But that's the motion picture industry too. Stills would be different I guess. <shrug>

You can acquire devices like that on a home budget though?

I have no idea what the achievable resolution of the ProPalette 7000 is. I know that it is unlikely to be 4k. Alpha has used one, so he may be able to tell us.

Best,
Helen

The majority of the work I did with it in the lab I worked in was making 35mm slides of digitally created art. The artists never seemed to have any complaints. Most of the time we were printing onto Ektachrome. Granted, if I wanted to have a digital image of mine printed onto a slide, I'd have it done larger than 35mm so probably on a Rhino LVT. I never experimented personally with printing my own digitized photos onto film, but the results I saw from other people's work were of acceptable quality for their intended purposes. Would I print an Ilfochrome? Probably not if I could help it. But for putting into a projector I think the results are adequate.

If SVGA (800 x 600 pixels, or half a megapixel) is all the resolution you want, and you are happy with a contrast ratio of only 1200:1 then that NEC will be OK. Meanwhile Alpha and I are debating whether a 4k, an 8k or a 16k film recorder (10, 40 and 160 megapixels, contrast ratio 6000:1) is good enough.

Best,
Helen

Sorry, wasn't meaning to recommend any particular model, just the concept.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back