Dilemma: Nikon D3000, D5000, or Canon Rebel T1i?

Thank you for all the advice, everyone! I am still having a lot of trouble deciding. I really want to buy Nikon because I am more familiar with their cameras and because I have heard amazing things about their lenses. I am hesitant, however, because of the Nikon D3000 and D5000 lacking the motor used to autofocus most lenses which would cause me to have to buy special lenses which would be somewhat a waste of money once I upgrade to a camera that has the motor in the body. This is a lot of money to put into something and I don't want to mess it up. I am thinking of maybe buying the D90 refurbished or slightly used. I am nervous though because it is much bigger than the D3000 and the D5000 and I didn't want anything too big right away. What would you recommend?

Last edited:
First:
It's definitely not a waste of money... the lenses with the internal focus motor focus faster and are much quieter as well.

Second:
The D90 isn't that much larger and even a D3000/5000 ins't a pocket-able camera anyway.

First:
It's definitely not a waste of money... the lenses with the internal focus motor focus faster and are much quieter as well.

Second:
The D90 isn't that much larger and even a D3000/5000 ins't a pocket-able camera anyway.

Oh, I didn't know that about the lenses. That is good to know. Thank you! That might have just my my decision much easier.

I know they are not pocket-able cameras, but I have very tiny hands so the D5000 was pretty hard to hold already. The D3000 was about perfect. I know as I go up and buy nicer cameras they will get larger, but for my first I want to be comfortable holding it. I know I would get used to it eventually, but I just want to take everything into consideration before buying.

Thank you!

Gotcha...

From my experience the D40 (now D3000 basically) was/is a great camera and it made the transition to the SLR world an enjoyable one.

You may want to check out Nikon's site, they actually have a very well put together tutorial for the D40, might be one for the D3000 as well.

Click the 'Open Menu' on the side, very useful information:
D40 | Digitutor | Global Site | Nikon Imaging

This is all that matters,

COMPARE THEM! sorry DXO dosen't have the D3000 up yet, I replaced it with the D40 since they are almost exactly the same.

That test is based only on image quality, it dosent base them on the extras they have.

The best way to get the camera you like is to go into the store and hold each one in your hands, whatever one feels best is whatever one you should get.

Your only problem with the Nikons is anything under the D90 can only autofocus AF-S and AF-I lenses (which has probaly been said before). As for canon im a nikon lover so I dont know much about canon but ive heard canons can run all lenses. (correct me if im wrong)

edit: CWN just said most of what I said, he pretty much beat me to it. just click the link thats all that matters.

most lens you'll be buying will be fine! so i wouldn't worry about it too much

Thank you for all of your help, everyone! I have decided to go with the D5000 and to stick with the kit lens for a while before I buy any others that way when I do have to buy a special autofocusing lens, I will be sure it's what I need and the extra cost won't seem like such a big deal. I figure getting it to feel more comfortable in my hands will just take some time and I will always have the strap around my neck if I ever do drop it in the process. I am thinking of buying it refurbished or used if I can just because I want to save money if I can and that way I can still afford lenses later on.

Thank you for all of your help, everyone! I have decided to go with the D5000 and to stick with the kit lens for a while before I buy any others that way when I do have to buy a special autofocusing lens, I will be sure it's what I need and the extra cost won't seem like such a big deal. I figure getting it to feel more comfortable in my hands will just take some time and I will always have the strap around my neck if I ever do drop it in the process. I am thinking of buying it refurbished or used if I can just because I want to save money if I can and that way I can still afford lenses later on.

Depending on what site you decide to get it from you might be able to take advantage of bing.com cashback, a lot of people don't know about it. It takes about 60 days to get your cashback but its worth it :) Walmart.com has 15% cashback right now.

http://www.bing.com/shopping/search?q=nikon d5000&scope=cashback&FORM=Z9RE&p1=

Bing shopping

Depending on what site you decide to get it from you might be able to take advantage of bing.com cashback, a lot of people don't know about it. It takes about 60 days to get your cashback but its worth it :) Walmart.com has 15% cashback right now.

nikon d5000 - Bing shopping

Bing shopping

Oh, wow! Thanks for telling me about this! I had no idea there was anything like this, so I'll definitely look into it.

I bought it! I got the following for a total of $650 from Amazon: the Nikon D5000 and the 18-55mm kit lens, a tripod, a small case, and a cleaning kit. It was very hard for me because I am in college and that is a lot of money, but I made a plan to make sure I still have enough money throughout next semester. Thanks for all of the help!

Haha I am right there with you man. Just got a D40 and there is so much stuff I want. What kind of tripod did you get?

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Congratulations on your purchase! I have the D5000 and I love it. It was my first DSLR, and an upgrade from my little pocket point and shoot. The D5000 has a much better sensor than the D3000 (It is basically the same sensor as the D90 and D300). This will allow you to take pictures at a much higher ISO setting without getting a high amount of "grain" or noise.

Be sure to post your pictures here and shoot often.

-Andy

Most reactions

Back