Dilemma: Nikon D3000, D5000, or Canon Rebel T1i?

id go for the d3000 in my opinion. the d5000 has those power issues. i have used one and it takes FANTASTIC photos but the power issues some have keep me from getting it. as far as canon goes, hey if you like it get it. it has a lot of features and probably takes great photos. especially since it has that cmos sensor. but im not a canon kind of guy so i wouldnt get one. thats just my opinion. happy choosing!

Well now I hope I bought the right thing!! I ordered the Canon T1i, I have always used Canon PowerShots and upgraded them, now I decided to do a larger upgrade. I got mine off Amazon too and spent more than that!! I hope I made a good choice!! I am real new to this, I do not even know about shutter speeds and so on, I just have always loved taking pics. I have always kept my camera on auto, now I am ready to start learning. I bought the dummies book too!!

btw i appreciate youve created an informed argument while this thread is bumped
and nice mrscae, i hope i see some pics too!

and although ive bought this book and havent bothered reading it, everyone says its fantastic

Understanding exposure

Well now I hope I bought the right thing!! I ordered the Canon T1i, I have always used Canon PowerShots and upgraded them, now I decided to do a larger upgrade. I got mine off Amazon too and spent more than that!! I hope I made a good choice!! I am real new to this, I do not even know about shutter speeds and so on, I just have always loved taking pics. I have always kept my camera on auto, now I am ready to start learning. I bought the dummies book too!!

You will learn, do your reasearch on basic camera information. Read your manual and once you learn how to use your camera properly you will LOVE IT!

Good luck.

I've always been a Canon person, so I recommend the Canon. From experience, Canons are easier to use, offer a greater lens selection and price, and general affordability without sacrificing quality.
For low to mid range DSLRs, Canon is far more experienced than Nikon and knows exactly what features capabilities and use the low-mid-range consumer market is looking for.

Shop around, there are XSis for around 600 WITH a low quality but quite usable 18-55mm kit lens.

However, the XSi is indeed going to be discontinued (Not that it matters much) but I still I strongly suggest you by a T2i. The XSi is a really good camera (I own an XS, the xsi's little brother) But T2i has 1080p film capability, so if you have family, it's the device to carry around. No need to lug around another camcorder. 18 megapixels will be more than you ever need and it takes Canon's entire line of lenses (EF and EF-S), as well as other big name third party lens suppliers like Sigma and Tamron, which offer generally a wider price range for canon mounts because they're so widespread. A DSLR is quite an investment and you don't want to invest in an XSi now, and eventually have to upgrade to a T2i or better because you love photography so much or going pro. If you care for your equipment, there is no reason why you shouldn't get a T2i now. (I'm assuming you have the money since you are willing to buy better lens separately)

Either will offer great picture quality than what you are used to, but take it from a Canon SLR/DSLR owner since the 80s, Canon won't disappoint and will last you a very very long time.

PS: I still have my lenses from the 80s, and they work great with DSLRs as well.

I'm not sure about the software in the D3000 or the T2i.. But after having looked at more cameras, I think a HUGE part of what has helped me grow with photography is the intuitive interface of my D5000. Just having the ability to click the little "?" in the past when I come to a setting I'm not sure about, has been an immense help because the camera literally will walk you through how to use every setting. Of course, becoming familiar with your manual is good, too.. but for a new photographer looking to delve seriously into making better pictures, the D5000 is perfect.

I agree with the poster above who said you'll be itching for a new camera soon though! You learn so fast with your D5000, that you quickly learn what a *pro* level camera would allow you to do. I've had my D5000 about 4 months now, and I've already halfway saved up for a D700:lol:

Most reactions

Back