Disable on-camera flash but keep hotshoe active?

curly

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a Nikon D40 that I am trying to use with some off-camera flashes using these triggers: Amazon.com: Neewer 4 Channels Wireless/ Radio Flash Trigger Set With 2 Receivers: Camera & Photo

Is there a way to disable the on-camera flash but keep the hotshoe active? I am having the problem that the on-camera flash keep popping up when I go to take a photo, instead of sending the signal to the transmitter on the hotshoe. I can't find this option in the settings menu, other than completely turning off the flash, which doesn't allow either flash to work.

I am wondering if I need to buy a more advanced trigger, or possibly a more advanced camera. One of the reviews on this product says you have to tell the camera to use the off camera flash, but again, I can't find this option:

"You will have to adjust the flash intensity yourself and you may have to tell the camera to use an external flash, because it may not detect the flash automatically (because there will be no communication with the flash, just a connection on the X terminal). The next step would be a Youngnuo remote setup, which offers more features and may wotk with TTL on some cameras (but not others, read the manufacturer's list carefully)."

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Are you shooting in Auto mode? My flash won't pop up when I shoot in aperture or shutter priority, or even P mode (I'm on canon).

take the camera out of auto mode.

Are you shooting in Auto mode? My flash won't pop up when I shoot in aperture or shutter priority, or even P mode (I'm on canon).
take the camera out of auto mode.

I think I tried this, but will try again. So will the camera still send a signal through the hotshoe to trigger the wireless transmitter?

put a piece of black plastic over the flash
Haha, good idea. But my hotshoe transmitter won't flash because the camera thinks it needs to use the on-camera flash.

Camera A,S,P,M modes will not popup the internal flash automatically. You open the internal flash door when you want to use it., and don't when not.
Auto mode does open it automatically, so don't use Auto with any hot shoe device.

So camera A,S,P,M modes is how you turn it off... then you simply do not open it.

The difference in Auto and P mode is both set shutter speed and aperture,
but Auto mode sets Auto ISO and Auto White Balance. P mode does not, but you can turn them on yourself (or better, you can turn them off, which Auto does not allow).

Camera M mode is often used with flash indoors (when indoor light is too weak for consideration).
The TTL flash is still automatic flash in camera M mode (but most radio triggers are manual flash, not TTL flash).
Camera A or P mode is common with flash outdoors.

Yes, the hot shoe will trigger any hot shoe device, flash or radio trigger, etc.

Is there a way to disable the on-camera flash but keep the hotshoe active?

Yes.

I don't know what you've already tried, but there is no problem with all other DSLR's behaving just fine.

As Braineack said, you're probably trying to shoot in "auto" mode, and the flash will pop up whenever there isn't enough light.

As far as I know, the hotshoe remains active whether you have specified a flash or not, so your RF remote triggers should work just fine, as do mine.

Got it working. Thanks everyone

Most reactions

Back