Disaster!

Mitica100

Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am just so effing p***ed! I was shooting at an animal shelter downtown Jackson (volunteered to shoot for them instead of a cash donation) and I realized that the 28-135 USM IS lens has died on me! :madmad::madmad::madmad:

It wouldn't focus, it wouldn't zoom properly. So I took it off and put it back in the bag. I heard a rattle inside, like something came lose.

Any of you experienced that? Is it a lost cause? Or should I send it to Canon USA to have a look? If it needs repair I might just have to get another one.

Grrrrrrr.........

Send it off to be inspected - best thing you can do.
And then get a quote for repaires and work out if its worth repair costs vs a new one --- I take it that its well out of warrenty.

I am just so effing p***ed! I was shooting at an animal shelter downtown Jackson (volunteered to shoot for them instead of a cash donation) and I realized that the 28-135 USM IS lens has died on me! :madmad::madmad::madmad:

It wouldn't focus, it wouldn't zoom properly. So I took it off and put it back in the bag. I heard a rattle inside, like something came lose.

Any of you experienced that? Is it a lost cause? Or should I send it to Canon USA to have a look? If it needs repair I might just have to get another one.

Grrrrrrr.........

sounds very serious. After shooting with USM lenses for 16 years now, I never had a case like that. I would send it in. If you still have warranty you simply might get a new lens.

sounds very serious. After shooting with USM lenses for 16 years now, I never had a case like that. I would send it in. If you still have warranty you simply might get a new lens.
+1

Yeah, it wasn't much of a fix, after all. I paid something like $88 plus shipping, all in all about $100. They fixed it and no parts were needed which tells me a retaining screw came lose. Glad I don't have to spend $400+ for a new one. Phew!...

The lens should be back in less than a week. :thumbup:

Yeah, it wasn't much of a fix, after all. I paid something like $88 plus shipping, all in all about $100. They fixed it and no parts were needed which tells me a retaining screw came lose. Glad I don't have to spend $400+ for a new one. Phew!...

The lens should be back in less than a week. :thumbup:

That's great news!

Yay! Lens arrived back today, serviced by Canon. They returned it to the original factory specs, even cleaned the inner cells of the lenses, where I had a few small dust specs. It's like a new lens!!! Canon rocks!! Now the lens is quieter, focuses faster and I can appreciate it more thank before.

Yay! Lens arrived back today, serviced by Canon. They returned it to the original factory specs, even cleaned the inner cells of the lenses, where I had a few small dust specs. It's like a new lens!!! Canon rocks!! Now the lens is quieter, focuses faster and I can appreciate it more thank before.

That's great news! Just in time for the holiday weekend. :D

Dodged a bullet.

Must be the good living. :lol:

Who knows it may be a new lens! Lots of times it's easier for them to send you a new one and throw out the old one rather than fix the broken

Who knows it may be a new lens! Lots of times it's easier for them to send you a new one and throw out the old one rather than fix the broken

No, it's the old one. Unless they were able to duplicate the SN on it. Either way, to me is new. ;)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back