Disko Hits The Streets.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do these people realize your photographing them?
If not, do people on the street ever get upset that your taking their pictures?

Most do, some dont. I never try to hide the fact that I am photographing someone. Plus I use a 70-210mm f2.8 which is very noticeable. Very very rarely does anyone get upset. I often say hi to the people I photograph if I walk past them. Sometimes I go talk to them. Some will have interesting stories and others might just ramble a bit.

Im also interested in why you ask these questions? Not much context to go from here.

Street photography is not easy...but as u capture them, u can get good pix without upsettling yourself,using a tele zoom, Even if u use wide angle u hv to go closer and find their emotions-negative or positive, or just move away.....Many people jump seeing a camera....Anyhow very nice captures.....my opinion. thnx for sharing.

I really like #2 Bench Seat. Great composition. Landscape really makes that shot with the all the negative space to the right and relative shallow DOF. I can almost hear the passing traffic. Nice work.

Street photography is not easy...but as u capture them, u can get good pix without upsettling yourself,using a tele zoom, Even if u use wide angle u hv to go closer and find their emotions-negative or positive, or just move away.....Many people jump seeing a camera....Anyhow very nice captures.....my opinion. thnx for sharing.

I find that it is much easier to get good street photography in the denser metro areas that are typically frequented by tourists. Then people people dont react so much to the camera since they are used to seeing people frequently taking pictures.

I like "Youth", probably would be a good b/w shot...

Probably would but I wanted to show him in color because I thought he had good style. bw and white would have killed the punch of red from the back pack and the headphones.

#5: I like the way the second man mimics the first, the sense of movement, and the light and shadows. Well done.

#5: I like the way the second man mimics the first, the sense of movement, and the light and shadows. Well done.

Thanks. I wished I would not have chopped him off in the photo.

People generally react more positively to pros. Some published photographers carry examples of their work to show curious people they are serious professionals. Business cards are another way to show you're not just a voyeur (even if you are). Of course, if you're carrying something like a Mamiya 645 and a tripod, you're more likely to be seen as a pro than if you're snapping photos with a P&S, whether or not that's a fair judgement.

Last edited:
#4 in second set. Great shot. Nice light, especially in the eyes. Expression, angle, mood. Baseball caps can be tricky, but you got the lighting right, imo. Nice DOF. Subject is dead center, but in this case it doesn't seem to be an issue, at least it isn't for me. This one's a winner.

I like #3, also. Arm cut off isn't so flattering, though. I would have squatted for that shot, especially since she's probably shorter than I am. Great expression and attitude!

Just a suggestion: maybe try composing your shots from different positions and angles, not just eye-level.

#4 in second set. Great shot. Nice light, especially in the eyes. Expression, angle, mood. Baseball caps can be tricky, but you got the lighting right, imo. Nice DOF. Subject is dead center, but in this case it doesn't seem to be an issue, at least it isn't for me. This one's a winner.

I like #3, also. Arm cut off isn't so flattering, though. I would have squatted for that shot, especially since she's probably shorter than I am. Great expression and attitude!

Just a suggestion: maybe try composing your shots from different positions and angles, not just eye-level.

That was a super quick grab on #3. I was waiting to cross a street and their was a family waiting to cross too. While they were waiting the daughter posed for a picture for mom. So I am looking over moms shoulder when I shot this.

If you liked #4. I have another that is similar. I was going to post it in the bw forum but Ill share it here with you.

This is Garfield. Needless to say life has been rough on Garfield. I also asked Garfield if I could take his picture. He consented but would not look at the camera.

_DSC4425 Garfield bw by DiskoJoe, on Flickr

That was a super quick grab on #3. I was waiting to cross a street and their was a family waiting to cross too. While they were waiting the daughter posed for a picture for mom. So I am looking over moms shoulder when I shot this.

If you liked #4. I have another that is similar. I was going to post it in the bw forum but Ill share it here with you.

This is Garfield. Needless to say life has been rough on Garfield. I also asked Garfield if I could take his picture. He consented but would not look at the camera.

_DSC4425 Garfield bw by DiskoJoe, on Flickr

Awesome shot Disco.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back