Display As A Standard Size Or Custom Size

smoke665

TPF Supporters
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I couldn't find anything on this in previous posts, and not sure this is the right slot for it. If it needs to be moved to another category, please let me know. My question is "What are the thoughts on breaking away from the standard dimension prints (5x7, 8x10, 11x14) to a custom size. I realize the limitations of frames, the pricing differential for custom frames, and the difficulty with acceptance by a customer if you were doing it commercially. However if you're doing it for your own display does it really matter?

I've been looking at mounting photos on 3/4" standouts with painted black edges. I can fabricate these easily to any size or shape I want so the cost is irrelevant. To me it seems that sometimes the defined space limits the photograph.

I have always had made/made my prints according to content and not a standard print size.

I have always ordered custom sized, mount, mat, framing, standout, canvas sizes to suit my artistic intent. For the most part I ordered the pieces and did the print, mount, frame assembly myself.

Today, not enough customers want photographer supplied prints to make doing retail photography a viable way to make a living.

That's a good idea! You can also mount an image with a mat of different aspect ratio for example a square print in a rectangular frame.

I have always had made/made my prints according to content and not a standard print size.

I have always ordered custom sized, mount, mat, framing, standout, canvas sizes to suit my artistic intent. For the most part I ordered the pieces and did the print, mount, frame assembly myself.

Today, not enough customers want photographer supplied prints to make doing retail photography a viable way to make a living.
Yep !

I was thinking along the lines of standouts with flush edge(no mats), but that brings the question to mind, do the rules of thumb for mat width apply to odd size prints? Seems that you need to follow something logical so as to not distract attention from the print itself.

I like a variety of aspect ratios and will use matting, fillets, drops, floats and stand offs in the framing of the piece. I also like custom shaped mats and not all straight edges and boring rectangles. You can frame multiples of a set of prints in a single frame with mat cut out options.

My rule of thumb is if it looks good, go with it.

My question is "What are the thoughts on breaking away from the standard dimension prints (5x7, 8x10, 11x14) to a custom size. I realize the limitations of frames, the pricing differential for custom frames, and the difficulty with acceptance by a customer if you were doing it commercially. However if you're doing it for your own display does it really matter?
Sometimes you just have to crop, and that's o.k., unless you're entering a contest or something like that.

Besides mounting them on standouts, you can also make custom mats to fit into a standard frame. So even if you don't want to get into custom frame building, there are options.

Probably a personal opinion, but I like the clean look of no frame to compete with the image. Also like the edge wrap option. Maybe it's my ADD not being able to concentrate on to many things at once LOL

Personally I don't take photos for photographers and don't mount or display them for photographers. Consequently each photo is whatever dimensions are right for it. I'm not all that good but I like them. The random sizes and dimensions really do well if you set a PC Screen Saver to display them...................Windows 10 turns them into a slide show with angles and textures and random groupings - kinda fun at times.

The last prints I made, I did myself on an iGen 4 Diamond digital press on14.33 x 22.5 inch pearlescent card stock that gave the prints a movie screen like feel. I did both digital art and photos I had made.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back