Distance...

This is one where I would hate to give incorrect advice. (I'm scared). Since you don't want to read get closer and or get a longer lens................... smaller aperture, faster shutter, less crop.

No need to be scared... heh heh heh, it's not that I don't want to read get closer/longer lens, neither one is an option, I'm working with what my body/budget will allow. Smaller - faster is sage advice.

Try buying your bird pictures on eBay, because you aren't going to take them with a camera.
Soooooo ...... where did the bird pictures on eBay come from if they weren't taken with a camera?

Rather obviously given the context of the discussion, from places where somebody with a camera can get closer than 80 yards away.

Try buying your bird pictures on eBay, because you aren't going to take them with a camera.
Soooooo ...... where did the bird pictures on eBay come from if they weren't taken with a camera?

Thank you Scott, a 600 or 800mm lens would be the answer to my prayers, but that is not going to happen.

Thank you Scott, a 600 or 800mm lens would be the answer to my prayers, but that is not going to happen.

You missed the reality of it all then. Even an 800mm lens with a 2x TC on it won't get you a decent image of an 8" bird from 80 yards away.

You have to get physically closer to the bird.

I would recommend a teleconverter, they come in 1.4 and 2.0, takes your 300mm lens and gives you a 420 or 600 respectively. You may also look into a spotting scope with camera adapter you can get some crazy long shots with that. But if getting closer is not an option, then I would invest in a teleconverter, they run in the $200-$300 range depending on the lens brand, and will get you a lot closer.

I would recommend a teleconverter, they come in 1.4 and 2.0, takes your 300mm lens and gives you a 420 or 600 respectively. You may also look into a spotting scope with camera adapter you can get some crazy long shots with that. But if getting closer is not an option, then I would invest in a teleconverter, they run in the $200-$300 range depending on the lens brand, and will get you a lot closer.

What good would that do???

He has a Nikon D7000, which produces 4928x3264 pixel images with a 1.5x crop factor sensor. That means with a 600mm lens and at 80 yards he gets 9' 7" of horizontal field of view. That's 115 inches, so if he wants an 11.5" section for his 8" bird, that will be 1/10th of the horizontal pixels. Which is to say, the image of the bird would be 492 pixels wide. Prnted at 300 PPI that's is a whopping 1.64 inch wide print! Wow. And even at 200PPI it only gets up to 2-1/2" inches wide.

Printed at even 8x10 that will look like so much crap.

The fact is, the only way to photograph an 8" bird is to get physically much much closer than 80 yards.

To fill the frame on a D7000, using a 600mm lens, means being 25 feet away (which would be a 12" wide frame).

You missed the reality of it all then.

Well actually I didn't miss a thing, I can not get closer, period.

The lens you'd need has a 5750mm focal length. Period.

Edit: 5750mm would give you a 1 foot wide field of view. A 4000mm lens would have 1' 5", so it wouldn't be perfect, but would certainly be okay until you got the real thing... :)

The fact is, the only way to photograph an 8" bird is to get physically much much closer than 80 yards.

To fill the frame on a D7000, using a 600mm lens, means being 25 feet away (which would be a 12" wide frame).

While I can not get closer, I really do love the fact that you have done the math to show that you cannot get a decient image of a small bird at this distance. I do appriciate that you were able to put it in perspective, thank you.

Actually Newtricks. There are some ((Tricks)) you can use to get a Northern Mockingbird closer.

I have recently downloaded some bird calls on my phone and can honestly tell you that they work like a charm to entice some birds to come close enough.

Now I have to admit, that I was near the bushes or shrubs or trees that I already knew they were in or around. In particular, Northern Mockingbirds, Spotted Towhees, and American Robins are very interested in the sounds coming from my phone. Sometimes I have the phone in my breast pocket, pants pocket, or simply lay it on the ground or a branch.

My wife just downloaded an app on her Iphone called Merlin ID (it is free but not yet available on Android). It works well other than it does not loop the recordings.
On my Android phone I have 16 different birds with at least 4 calls for each in folders. I pick a specific bird and continuously loop/shuffle the songs.

Just my best guess, but I have had Towhees, Robins and Mockingbirds come within 10 yards of me.

You note that the picture was taken @ 300mm F4. I have a 1.4 tc that you may try out if you like.

Hopefully that means this weekend. Wifey and I will see if we can make it :) will be in touch.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back