Distance...

Wait ... I've got it. If you can't get closer, then.. buy a longer lens! See.. Genius...

So a 4000mm lens is the answer?

Well that and one of those jeeps like in Rat Patrol to mount it on. And a big diet soda. Of course there is another, slightly more cost effective option. 12 gauge side by side and a couple of mail order taxidermy courses.. lol

I'd still try putting up a simple bird feeder, you'd be surprised what will show up. Birds love free food. It is the cheapest and easiest solution.

I love my bird feeders ;)

Actually Newtricks. There are some ((Tricks)) you can use to get a Northern Mockingbird closer.

I have recently downloaded some bird calls on my phone and can honestly tell you that they work like a charm to entice some birds to come close enough.

Now I have to admit, that I was near the bushes or shrubs or trees that I already knew they were in or around. In particular, Northern Mockingbirds, Spotted Towhees, and American Robins are very interested in the sounds coming from my phone. Sometimes I have the phone in my breast pocket, pants pocket, or simply lay it on the ground or a branch.

My wife just downloaded an app on her Iphone called Merlin ID (it is free but not yet available on Android). It works well other than it does not loop the recordings.
On my Android phone I have 16 different birds with at least 4 calls for each in folders. I pick a specific bird and continuously loop/shuffle the songs.

Just my best guess, but I have had Towhees, Robins and Mockingbirds come within 10 yards of me.

I have Peterson's Field Guide on my phone, it has hundreds of recorded bird calls, hadn't thought to use the calls to lure the birds closer.

You note that the picture was taken @ 300mm F4. I have a 1.4 tc that you may try out if you like.

Hopefully that means this weekend. Wifey and I will see if we can make it :) will be in touch.

I'd love to try it out. I have an old (1980's) Nikkor 300mm f/4 ED-IF (traded a watch for it), no built in AF motor and it's manual focus only with any TC's.

I'd still try putting up a simple bird feeder, you'd be surprised what will show up. Birds love free food. It is the cheapest and easiest solution.

I love my bird feeders ;)

Great shot Bill, Turkey Vulture? I maintain 5 bird feeders, 3 for the Hummingbirds and 2 for the seed eaters, funny thing is... when the wife and I are just sitting outside there are birds everywhere, as soon as I bring out the camera they don't come around, it's like a joke on me.

Getting closer (field craft) or using a longer focal length are the only viable options.

I'm old, fat and retired with 4 herniated lumbar disc, my days of hopping fences and still hunting are long behind me.

You note that the picture was taken @ 300mm F4. I have a 1.4 tc that you may try out if you like.

Hopefully that means this weekend. Wifey and I will see if we can make it :) will be in touch.

I'd love to try it out. I have an old (1980's) Nikkor 300mm f/4 ED-IF (traded a watch for it), no built in AF motor and it's manual focus only with any TC's.

Crapola, mine is for Canon.

Crapola, mine is for Canon.

It's all good man. This time last year I was shooting with a Minolta X700 and a 200mm manual lens, still hunting hummingbirds.

The wife and I are looking forward to getting together.

someone mentioned putting out food. I haven't had good luck drawing in mockingbirds with food, but I have had very good success with a bird bath. I know there is already water present, but I think you mentioned it had concrete sides. Is there very shallow water available for the birds to drink/bathe? bird baths take a while to establish but once they do the birds know where its at and go regularly, even if plenty of other water is nearby. they like the fresh, shallow water. The nice thing about mockingbirds is that they are pretty territorial and not shy. I typically get mockingbirds in my bird bath when other birds are in there, they really love to chase them away from "their" water source. the key with the bird bath is to keep it always filled with clean fresh water, and locate it near a tree or other source of cover. birds that have recently bathed are slightly dampened and are susceptible to predators so having nearby areas to perch/hide are key to attracting them. I think that might be your best bet.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back