Dizzy from lens spec's.....help!

Bea

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Ok so the post regarding lenses for the Nikon D40/40x has made me do a little more homework.
Problem is that there is soooo many different lenses out there, how do I know what will work with my D40's auto focus needs? I know AF-S, easy right!

I posted a link from Nikon's page below......I'm guessing all of these will work.

http://nikon.ca/en/Lens.aspx#

What do the 18-55mm numbers mean to me? and what letter must be there to work on Auto focus?

I really don't know the difference between lenses and am looking for some clarity. The AF-S DX 55-200mm F4-5.6G ED looks fair priced to me? So why the major price difference?

Thanx.

D40

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok, the numbers indicate the focal length 18mm to 55mm ( the zoom ). 18mm being wider then 55mm and 200mm. the f/# is the aperture size. A lens that says f/4 means that that is the max aperture for that lens and f/4-f/5.6 means that at the widest focal length the aperture can be f/4 but as you zoom it in the aperture changes till it reaches f/5.6 were it will hold. The Lens that focus on the D40/D40x are all the Nikon lens that say "AF-S" Also the Sigma lens that say "HSM". Those are focus motors in the lens so they work fine with the D40. I have the Nikon 18-55 AF-S lens and the Sigma 70-200 HSM lens and they both work. I hope this helps as this is an amitures words:)

kundalini

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
Nikon lens acronyms

Photozone lens reviews

Some more light reading for you.

The 18-55mm is the focal length range for that particular lens. The D40 does have some limitations for autofocus lenses, but I can't remember what they are. Pretty sure several threads discus it though.

D40

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
I like that second site:)

Most reactions

New Topics