do any of you have the same problem i have?

smalls

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
it seems i have a problem with trying to read learn and do too much at one time. im wanting to get better with my photography but yet i also want to learn photoshop and building my own website. where do i stop? please dont fall into my shoes noobies, it really really sucks!

Do less.

Seriously, just take pictures and look at what you're coming out with. Technically if you do the composition and exposure right, the photoshop skills are way less necessary. Valuable, sure... but way less necessary.

Get out and shoot. Composition and exposure are far more important than any other skill. You can tech-yourself to death and take all the fun out of it for yourself if you're not careful.

I have always just shot. Fact is I really, really need to do alot of going through my photos and, organizing them. Sounds like you have the technical stuff down now go out and shoot, there is plenty of work in getting that right.

I tend to do much the same thing if I'm not careful, smalls. It's easy to get burnt out after a few weeks or a month of trying to learn as much on paper about DoF, composition, lighting, what not to do in Photoshop, HTML, CSS, PHP to build a website, etc. as possible in as little time as possible.

You just have to sit back and realize, Hey, wait a minute, this isn't so much fun anymore, I'd better take a break.

Also, don't let it get in the way of sleeping like it's done me. :)

When I read threads like LynziMarie's "Now What's Next" or this one or any other of a desparate taker of photos who wants everything at once just NOW, I am so happy that all I have ever done with the cameras (and later computer and even later Photoshop) I have owned was playing. I am so happy that I never tried to be good, and most of all never strove to become a professional. Phew. Makes life so much easier, happier, satisfactory.

When I read threads like LynziMarie's "Now What's Next" or this one or any other of a desparate taker of photos who wants everything at once just NOW, I am so happy that all I have ever done with the cameras (and later computer and even later Photoshop) I have owned was playing. I am so happy that I never tried to be good, and most of all never strove to become a professional. Phew. Makes life so much easier, happier, satisfactory.

Ditto.

I agree with the others!
The greatest thing about digital is being able to take 1000 shots (or more!!) a day and then being able to look them all over in the evening and not cost you a thing. It means you can stay a single subject (like a flower/building or landscape) and try out different settings - try different apertures, shutter speeds - try something not writtin in the book! - and then come home and have a look at what it all came out like (the camera LCD is not that good for reviewing - really only a total blowout or underexposure is all you can cull from LCD viewing). And then you can look at the settings you used and think "ahh so that is what works best" rather than reading and copying, where you don't see the results of wavering from the writter word.

Get out and have fun with the camera - shoot what you want and what inspires you :)

Don't worry you're not the only one. Working in IT I'm CONSTANTLY doing website stuff for work, writing server scripts or the like. I spend a lot of time working with lighting, composition and stuff but my nights are like Overread said, looking at my photos, playing with PS (Gimp in my case) changing levels and junk. I've just done things slowly though. My PS background was not based on photography so I'm learning there too. I do think its good to take it slow but learning things like PS to boost colors and stuff is good to get under your belt too.

Thats the problem with today's youth... they all want everything now. :lol:

I guess one of the advantages of being a little older (I'm about to turn 48 next week! :confused: ), is that I've learned to chunk big projects down into smaller manageable pieces that I can assimilate faster and retain longer.

Also, like LaFoto, *everything* I do that is associated with photography is ONLY for the pure fun of it.

I love the technical aspects, and I am a technical trainer, a consultant and very heavy into IT, the tech side comes very easy to me (webs, blogs, applications, technical aspects of photography, etc...). Where I have to work hard is being creative and "artsy-fartsy". Even there, I have a great time learning, trying and falling on my face and getting up only to try again. It's all part of the pleasure that this hobby gives me.

To manage the issue for myself I decided that the photography was more impt. than the PS. Get it right or as close to possible in the camera and let the photography do the the talking.

have a good one
3Eo

ps. PS is also an acronym for Perfection Syndrome.:hug::ps. is an abbreviation for postscript...You must decide what PS (Photoshop) will be for you.

Thats the problem with today's youth... they all want everything now. :lol:

I guess one of the advantages of being a little older (I'm about to turn 48 next week! :confused: ), is that I've learned to chunk big projects down into smaller manageable pieces that I can assimilate faster and retain longer.

:lmao::lmao::lmao:

I'm 51. I find that when I come across something I like in photoshop it gives me ideas to try with the camera. (not that I get around to everything but it gets filed away ;))

The only thing I can really say, if you really want to do it all at once is to maybe break up your time.

Maybe, mondays and wednesdays, go shoot.

Tues & Thurs, do photoshop/learning.

etc.

I tend to do much the same thing if I'm not careful, smalls. It's easy to get burnt out after a few weeks or a month of trying to learn as much on paper about DoF, composition, lighting, what not to do in Photoshop, HTML, CSS, PHP to build a website, etc. as possible in as little time as possible.

You just have to sit back and realize, Hey, wait a minute, this isn't so much fun anymore, I'd better take a break.

Also, don't let it get in the way of sleeping like it's done me. :)

ur signature is too big :p

Most reactions

Back