how is this DOF possible at f/8??

Awww. You removed it. It was freaking funny....

Oh

my

God.

That HURT MY HEAD! STOP IT!
I don't think I can be a photographer anymore.

damnit, put it back! I wanna see the funny!

to OP: Super close to subject.

Look at this.

how is this DOF possible at f/8??
The answer to your question is that you are using a 55mm lens and you are very close to the subject. The closer you are to the subject, the narrower the DOF.

I wish he would put that back. I want to see what was so funny as well. Yep really close to the subject amkes for shallow DoF.

i thought being far from the subject makes for shallow depth of field. or maybe thats just blur from focusing... agh

i thought being far from the subject makes for shallow depth of field. or maybe thats just blur from focusing... agh
No it is quite the oposite. An example take a pen and move it towards you eye till you can see the point clearly close up. Notice how all you see is the point and, everthing else is out of focus, that is your focus point. It is the same for a camera lense.

Take this shot I took for example:
_DSC8818-Edit_sharpenededit-1.jpg

I was at over f/40 for that shot. But I was using a macro lens, so I was about four inches from the closer flower. The further flower was about a foot away from the closer flower. And even at that small of an aperture, I still wasn't able to get the further flower sharp. And that was with a 60mm lens, by the way.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back