Do any stores do financing?

definitive

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello all,

Looking to get a canon 40d, but trying to find a place that will do a finance deal. Anyone know of a place?

I checked the usual, b+H and such, but havent found anything.

Thanks!
D

Your local bank should be able to help.

However, I would suggest not financing hobbies, not a good financial move. It is better and wiser to save up for it, and pay for it with money you have in hand.

By the time one payes for it, you've near added 20-50% of the value of the equipment on top of the cost of it all depending on rates and length of the loan, of course.

Best buy has 2 years of interest free financing on slr's $999 and up.

edit: If you don't pay off the entire amount by the end of the 2 years, you pay interest on the original amount, not just the current balance. If you have to pay 25% interest on it, it's not worth it!

Last edited:
B&H has financing thru Bill Me Later. It's no payment for 6 months, but if you pay it off in full before then you pay no interest. Please make sure to read all the info on Bill Me Later's site.

Instore financing is usually a bad way to go, interest rates are often alot higher than a small signature / personal loan.
How ever I strongly recommend paying for camera gear out right. if your new photography you and expecting to make money to make back your equipment, dont expect this to be a reliable force of income.
If you must pay for your camera via fince do it through and interest dree credit card-thats what I did, just so I can spread the payment out over a few paycheques.

Just did a fast look... seems that both Visa and AmEx have intro rates of 2.99% on new clients for 6 months (location dependant... I am in Canada).

Again, I'd not suggest it unless perhaps the deal was soooooo good that it offset the final cost of what I would pay in interest rate charges over what I could find somewhere paying cash.

rits does financing with 0 interest (i believe for the first year)

Calumet will generally lease for up to 60 months on items more than about $1800USD

Finance with no interest (for a set period) may sound good but you still most likely end up with charges. We got the Canon on a 24 month interest free period (still paying it off) though a local electrical store (on a sorta finance co. credit card thing)

Ok so there's no interest for the set period - but the minimum repayment they have down (which they tell you at the time is all really you need to pay each month) will not pay the camera off in the interest free period and so we actually have to pay nearly $20 a month more than the minimum (50% difference) to pay it off in the 24 months. Maybe they hope people won't do the calculations and then end up still owing after the 24 months is up :/

They also slug you a fee for paying the bill via different methods (cost varies up to about $2 a transaction) if you don't set up a direct debit with the co . Also a monthly account service fee - So the interest free period may save you interest but over the 24 months we are doing it you have approx $80 in service fees/charges (would be higher possibly also) etc

I think if you can afford to buy if outright (saving up etc) its a lot easier than a finance plan.

Last edited:
Dont finance anything if you can help it. Always pay cash. Over the course of a lifetime you will save at least tens of thousands.

Most reactions

Back