Do cameras 'die' if you don't use them?

The old shutters actually had grease in them. If not used it got stiff and hard locking or at least slowing the shutter down. The restoration of a lens to working condition can usually be a matter of just loosening up that grease. A solvent, heat and exercise.

That said more modern cameras most likely do not have grease in them so unless it is a moisture thing I wouldn't expect them to go bad with just time. Except rubber parts tend to dry out with time alone. Light seals comes to mind.

This applies to old old cameras. I have no idea about more modern ones/

There is an additional issue with old age with cameras that I didn't see mentioned.

I have an ageing Canon A-1 which I bought new in 1982. It was moderately used for about 10 years and since then usage was lower than average. Since 2002 it was no longer used.

I recently noticed that the mirror dampener foam in the front of the pentaprism, as well as the light seal foam in the back of the film compartment cover just wasn't there. Also, the shutter has this squeak noise that shows that some grease should be applied, but I won't do it, I will just fir the shutter 2-3 times every 6 months or so just to make sure nothing get's stuck.

The mirror dampener was still there but after firing the shutter for a few times it came out in pieces. Furthermore, film cover is not lightproof anymore, at least proven by running a film through the camera and taking some shots.

New cameras still have this foam in the front, however I am not sure if organic material chemistry has improved over the last 30 years to the point that this new material will last more than 20 years.

that was the rubber products I mentioned, but to be honest I doubt that they are really rubber at all. It's funny I have some old minoltas that are supposed to be very bad for that light seal problem but they seem light tight to me. I guess one day I will find that they no longer are. I probably should just buy a kit and replace them anyway but I don't think so. If I try to fix them I guarantee they will be broke in five minutes.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back