Do I have a responsibility to make models look better in Photoshop?

kiso

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi, I just started working with models looking to expand their portfolios to help expand my own photo portfolio. I just shot my first model- do I have a responsibility to make her look "better" in Photoshop? Usually I just adjust the colour of photos keeping them natural or dodge a face if it needs to be done but should I be airbrushing and thinning the subject in Photoshop too?

"Thinning" the subject, I personally wouldn't do unless it was something they wanted. Facial blemishes and stuff like that, IMO - if it's temporary (pimple or something), get rid of it. If not, leave it.

Anything that you have a "responsibility" to do should be spelled out in your contract.

Depends on how you want your photos to reflect positively on you. I feel the camera and lighting can show flaws that wouldn't necessarily be visible to the same extent. I will always do my best to make my models look as I saw them, with my own eyes.

Don't you want your port to be as beautiful as possible?

Really depends on what you are shooting.

If you are shooting fashion, or beauty work then you should be doing more work in photoshop than if you're just taking portraits of random models.

That being said, I would never thin someone in photoshop unless I was shooting some kind of editorial and I was required to do so.

I kinda draw a line under changing body shape in PS. Having said that, every model I shoot really does not need there body changing in PS because they have great bodies already .

This is photography...not rocket science, bridge building or brain surgery. You don't have to do anything that you don't want to do...unless, of course, you are contractually obligated.

It is the photographers job to help the model look their best for the type of modeling jobs the model will be seeking.
For instance, actors want a photo style that accurately displays their face and body, while a model seeking runway work will want a photo style that shows the models face and body will compliment the clothes being shown.

If you're working with amateur models, they will not often know what style of photo they need.
Again, that is something the photographer can help them with.

It is your responsibility to make the models look better BEFORE photoshop. Use your lighting and posing techniques to your advantage. This far outweighs time spent in PPing.

All depends, if the model wants to look thinner, at some point she will want to show the photos to look for modelling jobs, what happens when the person looks at them and asks, so how come you look 50 pounds thinner in the photos?

Depends on how you want your photos to reflect positively on you. I feel the camera and lighting can show flaws that wouldn't necessarily be visible to the same extent. I will always do my best to make my models look as I saw them, with my own eyes.

Don't you want your port to be as beautiful as possible?

Yes, no photographer loses by flattering their subject.

All depends, if the model wants to look thinner, at some point she will want to show the photos to look for modelling jobs, what happens when the person looks at them and asks, so how come you look 50 pounds thinner in the photos?

Post processing that is obvious or overdone displays poor skills from the photographer/editor.

I tend to agree with the "if its temporary" theory. No one will use a photo if they have a huge pimple or something similar. Models want to look their best for a portfolio. If they don't use your photo, they most likely won't use you as a photographer again either. I don't think thinning a model is necessary or in some cases ethical. Like the PP said, if you thin them and then they go to an audition (whatever models do) and they aren't that thin, well that is misrepresentation.

I tend to agree with the "if its temporary" theory. No one will use a photo if they have a huge pimple or something similar. Models want to look their best for a portfolio. If they don't use your photo, they most likely won't use you as a photographer again either. I don't think thinning a model is necessary or in some cases ethical. Like the PP said, if you thin them and then they go to an audition (whatever models do) and they aren't that thin, well that is misrepresentation.

The model might consider that it is equally misrepresentation, if the photo makes them look older than they are, and I have seen such photos which due to lighting or angles are unflattering to the subject. It would be best to error on the side of flattering your subject without going overboard, if you are interesting in being successful.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back