Do I have a sensor that need cleaning?

Grandpa Ron

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I had an opportunity to catch some nice, clouds over the lake shots.

The color shot was fine. So a decided to try the monochrome setting.
IMG_3934.JPG
The monochrome setting allows me to add color filters to enhance the contrast. However, there are dark spots on the picture.

IMG_3935.JPG Yellow filter

IMG_3936.JPG Orange filter

As you can see the dark spots are consistent but do not appear in the color photo.

What would cause these dark spots and why in just the monochrome settings.

Actually they are in the color pic as well, just less noticeable. You also have an oil spot, the circle in one of the BnW pics.

I ordered some swabs and solution made for the purpose from BnH. Worked great for me.

Quickest way to check for dust is set your camera to AV and your aperture to f/18 or above and take a shot of blue sky above you. The smaller your aperture the more visible any dust will be, but usually if you don't see it at F/18 you won't normally notice it at working ranges.

After the first check remove your lens, lock up the mirror turn the camera toward the floor and use a blower to dislodge dust. Reattach your lens and take another shot. If the spots aren't gone after a couple tries. Use a wet clean swab kit. I can tell you most wet clean swabs won't get dried oil or grease off. For that you'll need ROR Residual Oil Remover (2.0 oz) . There's a large shop in Atlanta that's also been using Denatured Alcohol supposedly but I've never tried it.

Last edited:
What would cause these dark spots and why in just the monochrome settings.
The first thing to check, (and the easiest to correct) is have a good look at the rear element of your lens, and clean it if necessary. If the spots are still there after that, then they are on your sensor. Good luck!

NEVER use a blower in the camera for dust. That just moves it around. Dust statically clinging to the sensor won't be dislodged by a blower anyway. You'll more likely get dust from around the mirror box ONTO the sensor!

You need a swab kit with fluid. Not hard to use, just get the right size swab, either for full-frame or crop-frame, a tiny bit of fluid on the swab, and a single pass across the sensor. No scrubbing, no back-and-forth.

The method I was taught by a professional shop that repairs cameras, was to use the the least intensive method first. Dust in a camera will eventually find it's way to the sensor anyhow, so you might as well get it out of the way. That's why they say to hold the camera pointed down so hopefully it will fall out. Routine cleaning both lens and bodies with the blower will help to eliminate a build up that will cause problems later. Cleaning swabs and solution can/do occasionally leave streaks by over zealous application of fluid. My K1MII had a grease/oil spot that no amount of cleaning with the normal cleaning fluid would remove, had to move to the next level with the ROR fluid.

A Sensor Scope will make things easier Delkin Devices Sensor Scope with Bag I picked up a used Delkin from fleabay for $20. They let you actually see the spots/streaks on the sensor, without having to do a test shot.

No doubt about it, the sensor needs cleaning. Looks like dust and lubricant spots.

I know I have a bunch of spots on mine. Tried all the camera manual suggestions. Still there. I really want a pro to clean mine but so far, no shop near me... :{

I know I have a bunch of spots on mine. Tried all the camera manual suggestions. Still there. I really want a pro to clean mine but so far, no shop near me... :{

It's not that hard, just delicate. You can order the swabs made for your sensor and solution fairly cheaply. 2 or 3 tries and it will be clean as new.

We travel in an RV and arrived in a smaller college town a week ago. Was wondering about asking the college camera club for help doing it?

We travel in an RV and arrived in a smaller college town a week ago. Was wondering about asking the college camera club for help doing it?

They should be able to help or at least point you in the right direction if a local source is available.

I did a clear sky photo and what a surprise. there is lots of dust on the photos.

I will admit I use my camera for lots of things, I swap multiple lenses, add home made pinhole lenses, couple to my telescope etc. So now it is time to pay the piper.

A lens/sensor cleaning kit is on the way.

It's not anything you did, it just happens. Can't be prevented unless you keep it in a sterile, dust-free environment 100% of the time, which makes taking actual pictures fairly difficult. :biggrin-93:

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I've used VSGO kits also, they work well for all but the toughest dried on grease and oil.

Most reactions

Back