Old Soul: A B&W test. Red filter or not.

Soocom1

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So the shots were taken with my 70D.
All from the same spot, all the same settings with the exception of the B&W/monochrome factor.
ISO 160, F 6.3, 1/60th shutter.

Ill let everyone hash this out to their own opinions, but here is what I wanted to point out.
1: Shooting modern Digicams allows for Monochrome. Cool.
But in the days of film, monochrome (B&W) was taken to a pinnacle with the use of various colored filters. The intent was to cause some aspect of the image to saturate more than others with darker, more emotional blacks, greys, etc.

With digital, one can mimic the effects of filters and in this case was done not in software of a computer, but the software of the camera.
Except for the last one to whit I used an actual red filter in front of the lens itself, all were shot with the choises in the camera. No post processing.

The first is the color picture of the tree I named Old Soul. There are three of them together, but this old man has a wonderful hollow in him and gives off a face when coming down the road.

Enjoy and debate at will.
h5elzv8.png

This is him with the standard Monochrome:

haTrVNR.png

With the Red Filter OPTION IN THE CAMERA: This is the digital faux filter:

yrg6r88.png

This is with an actual red filter in front of the lens and the monochrome set to "None" on the filter option:

krA6Kcd.png

Cheers

Last edited:
Are you sure the last image is not the same as the standard monochrome ... there is no difference and the both display krA6Kcd.png?

Are you sure the last image is not the same as the standard monochrome ... there is no difference and the both display krA6Kcd.png?
You were correct. I have changed it.
Look at the position of the copywrite.

Interesting. I've never gotten around to trying this, so I appreciate your post.

I certainly like the third, actual red filter shot. But, it may be just the exposure difference.

Interesting. I've never gotten around to trying this, so I appreciate your post.

I certainly like the third, actual red filter shot. But, it may be just the exposure difference.
Me thinks so also.
It drops the exposure by approx. 2 stops.

+2 in post on that shot would be fair for discussion?

Its open season on it all.

So have at it.

So here is a screenshot of Canon's DPP program with two images of the same location, witht he same setup. One is the Faux filter, the other is the red filter put into place. (You can see my thumb vignette the upper LH corner).

Eye ez a prfeshunal fotogrfer!

The diff. is IMO stark.
The Left is the faux filter, the right one is the real filter.

qg8SayR.png

One of the most critical aspects of black-and-white digital is correcting the brightness of the image after the filter has been applied to the data. Many filters look really bad when the images are directly converted. many times I have found that it's necessary to make a very significant adjustment to either the tone curve or the exposure or to both
My experience in converting color images in light room and other software apps is that a one click application is normally very unsatisfactory

Interesting as I've found similar experiences, and have resisted disposing of my old film era filters. Ambient light doesnt exist as RGB its an entire range of various wavelengths. With a colored filter (or gelled supplemental flash), you are able to reduce the significance of certain parts of that spectrum to either balance out the light, or remove specific parts of it to achieve a specific purpose.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back