Do I just need more practice?

Even using flash in direct sunlight your camera is still metering for both the light and your flash meters its output itself based on the lighting and your in camera settings. Modern auto flashes are quite good (they can trip up of course like anything automated can) and even if that fails you can adjust the manual power output on the flashes.

As Nates says if you work with around f13, 1/200sec and ISO 100/200 even in good sunlight a shot will come off very dark to pitch black when taken (try it and see) this is why the flash is the dominant lighting in those cases

Thanks for the info Overread & NateS, I'm thinking of getting a good macro lens and doing some expiermenting with macro.

Going to go pick up a flash later this week been looking at the Canon 580 ex II. Is that a good flash or is there one better? I want to be able to use this for basically everything. From Macro work to night shooting and all the in between. Any help on this subject? Also for the macro work should I get one of those soft box "covers" for the flash. You know the little like velcro on the end of the flash ones or do I not need it and thats a waste of money?

Going to go pick up a flash later this week been looking at the Canon 580 ex II. Is that a good flash or is there one better? I want to be able to use this for basically everything. From Macro work to night shooting and all the in between. Any help on this subject? Also for the macro work should I get one of those soft box "covers" for the flash. You know the little like velcro on the end of the flash ones or do I not need it and thats a waste of money?

I'm no Canon guy so I can't say for sure, but the 580 EX II might be a little big if you plan to mount it via bracket for macro work. You might want something a little smaller like the 430 ex....I know that I have an SB-600 (NIkon's version of 430) and I sure wouldn't want a larger SB-900 (Nikon's version of 580 EXII) hanging off the side of my camera.

Okay thanks for your input. I guess the real reason I was leaning towards the 580 was the faster recycle time

Okay thanks for your input. I guess the real reason I was leaning towards the 580 was the faster recycle time

Well, it is something to consider. I've thought about an SB-800/900 for my setup to give me faster recycling times. I just think the extra weight and size would hinder me more than the faster cycle times would help me. This is my personal feelings on it though and opinions will vary.

Most reactions

Back