Do I Need A LIght Meter?

smoke665

TPF Supporters
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Relatively new to the use of studio lights, having avoided them in the past. Just starting to explore this area, using the camera meter, and "trial and error". I've seen some inexpensive analog meters, and a Shepard that measures both incident and reflected (less than $20). Would something like this be beneficial for a beginner trying to learn, or should I just save my money and go with a better one later?

I'm not a studio guy, but the onboard light meter of modern digital cameras are very good. If you're going for reflective, I think your camera would be far superior to a cheap handheld meter. If you want incident and flash readings, that is the domain of a handheld meter. Dedicated flash meter are pretty inexpensive, if you desire an incident reading, get a gray card (seriously).

I'd wait until you feel a passion for studio work before making a serious investment into a 'good' handheld meter. For reflective readings, a handheld will make your life easier, but would not be more accurate than your camera meter. (The more expensive handhelds have memories and trick stuff for different readings, but nothing pen and paper couldn't replicate. There are free/cheap light meter apps for smart phones.)

You don't need a flash meter, no. Especially with the ability to review your shots on the rear LCD, but it makes learning a lot easier IMO. There are lots of good meters cheaply available on eBay & Craig's List. The Minolta Flash III, IV, and V are excellent choices.

I have an older Minolta IV lightmeter. fyi, this only goes down to ISO 200, so I always use ISO 200 as a base.

With digital cameras though, I've just put myself in the frame for a studio shot and set up the camera & lights that way. It's quick and easy. And once you get used to your lights and style you just set them up the same way each time.

If you get into dramatic lighting it comes in handy each time without taking a shot.
But if you do it enough you start correlating your camera settings with the flash output before doing anything for a studio setup.

There are free/cheap light meter apps for smart phones.)

I have a meter app now on my phone that works great for ambient light, but it won't lock on flash reading. Are there some out there that will work for flash?

I tried the iPhone variants before. None of them really worked at all for flash except for a few, such as this one
Lumu Power Turns the iPhone Into a Light, Flash, and Color Temperature Meter

but at those prices, the Minolta IV I bought was much cheaper, and I can leave it with my flash gear, and put it around my neck with a lanard and not worry about it being an expensive phone too. There are some things where I don't want to use my phone for.

It might help some plus you'll look cool the people in the YouTube videos

I don't like doing flash work without one, at least to get the main initially. although, ive used my light enough, that i know at f/11, iso 100, and 1/125 sec, that ill probably want my main at power 5-5.25 for a typical shot. throw in my light meter, and it takes another few moments to be right on the money without fussing around.

I like the simplicity of the Shepard FM800. Fire the flash, count the lights, spin the dial and get the exposure. Not much to learn or think about - good for this old mind. Any experience with it?

I like the simplicity of the Shepard FM800. Fire the flash, count the lights, spin the dial and get the exposure. Not much to learn or think about - good for this old mind. Any experience with it?

Huh? Sounds way more complicated than a meter that just tells you the exposure from the git-go. Fire the flash, and look at the aperture readout.

That's one of those really old flash meters ...

As stated, a flash meter is nice but not totally essential these days. The meter is nice for precision, and for establishing complex ratios with three or four lights down to the tenth of an f/stop, without even shooting a single frame. The Shepard brand has always been cheap, and the klunky scale and lights system is very 1940's, and predates microprocessor, direct-readout technology, and might not have the 1/10-stop precision we expect in a Sekonic meter. But for $20, why not?

But for $20, why not?

So for about the price of a trip to Mickey D's for two, I could get a meter, that like the meal, may not be the best, but fills an empty stomach? :05.18-flustered:

I have an older Minolta IV lightmeter. fyi, this only goes down to ISO 200
Whatchou' talkin' 'bout Willis???? This meter goes down to ISO 8!
You're right. But the specs have it down to 3. Thinking back now I was using a D700 which only went down to 200 ISO and I guess I just stuck with 200 since.
MInoltaLightMeter.jpg

Most reactions

Back