Do I need to bring the kit lens w/ me???

bsdubois00

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.brandondubois.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So I am about to embark on a 3 week vacation to the land down under (Australia). I plan on bringing my 35mm f1.8, my 50mm f1.8 and I am looking to purchase a Tokina 12-24mm - do I need to bring my 18-55mm Nikon Kit lens or does this seem like overkill?

Thanks,

Brandon

SEE POST 7 for NEW QUESTION

Last edited:
There's no such thing as bringing too much gear. If space is a consideration, than I would go with the two zooms and leave the primes. I would however reconsider the decision to buy the super-wide zoom and think about buying long glass - you've already got a moderate wide angle in your kit lens, and you can always stitch multiple images together for a pano if it's not wide enough, but I've found in travel photography (and I've done a lot of it) that I've wanted longer a lot more than I've wanted wider.

Guess I was thinking for some of the outdoors / hiking that we will be doing I will really appreciate the 12mm of the super-wide - so if I do not buy a super wide - which zoom would you go with - Nikon mount - budget being an issue...

What about snagging a 24-85mm AF-s and still getting the Super-Wide - would you feel this is enough coverage 12mm - 85mm?

It really all comes down to shooting style and preference. Since I never go anywhere without a tripod, I dont' worry too much about going super-wide. I can make it up as a panorama. Looking at my last major trip, probably 40% of the 1000+ images I shot were at 100mm or longer with a significant portion of those being at 250mm or longer.

Ahh what to do what to do.....I wanna make sure that I have all that I need - but not sure I will have a tripod - I am not bringing mine and not sure if my sister in law who lives in Australia has one or not....

Ok answer this for me then. I plan on doing some expeditions while I am there - spending about 1 week in Melbourne, then taking the trip along the coast to Sydney - spending 4 nights in Sydney - then hitting the Blue Mountains ( i think thats what they are called) and taking another route back. Mostly landscapes and cityscapes.

I have so far

Nikon 18-55mm Kit
Nikon 35mm f1.8
Nikon 50mm f1.8

How would you spend $600 +/- What lens would you go with? I have been eying the Tokina 12-24 but just haven't pulled the trigger yet.

Thanks

If most of what you like to do is landscape/cityscape then don't worry about going long and get what your needs require. If it were me I would look into something long and make do with the kit for landscapes but my focus would probably be more on the variety of animals down there.

To be honest I would just rent but 3 weeks can get high. Justs a though. But IDK like I said 3 weeks may be high. You can def rent tripods though!

Yea - Maybe I should look around for tripod rentals in Australia - I'm trying to talk my brother into buying his wife a tripod :) that is going to be my best bet.

I looked into lens rental - 150-200 for a wide angle - might as well buy it for 500 and at least I have the lens to show for it...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back