Do people actually Buy Photographs? did you personally have any success sellings your Images?

DinoThePhotoGuy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
If yes what type do they buy most often? black and white or Color? Abstract, Landscape (farms, flowers, trees), Animals, Bugs...........Do you think one can make decent living selling their images?

Photographers sell pictures every day... There are a few ways to make a living with a camera, but you seem to be asking specifically about "Art" photography.

Most people like to believe that Black and White is the most preferred (and maybe it is), but the most expensive including the $6.5 million photo sold in 2014 was in color.

Being an "Art" photographer is the hardest (imho) to make a living, but some do it rather well. Just understand anyone that owns a camera can be an art photographer. Some other photography paths require more than just a camera.

Actually the Lik print "sold" for $6.5M was a b&w conversion of a color photo.

In 30+ years of photography, I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of non-comissioned images I have sold and still have enough free fingers to make change for a nickle. Yes, some can and do make decent money shooting nature/wild-life/fine-art on spec, but they are a very, very, VERY minute fraction of the number of professional photographers out there.

I do alright, probably sold like $3k in prints last year. Not enough to survive off of by any means but I sell a decent amount of prints

In 30+ years of photography, I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of non-comissioned images I have sold and still have enough free fingers to make change for a nickle. Yes, some can and do make decent money shooting nature/wild-life/fine-art on spec, but they are a very, very, VERY minute fraction of the number of professional photographers out there.

+1 to that...

What many believe is one of the most viewed photos of all time was done as an art shot... Made a lot of money with it also... Also happens to be taken within spitting distance of my house :1219:

The Story of Microsoft s Bliss One of the Most Famous Photos Ever Taken Adweek

how much? 6.5 million? this guy whoever it is. Will never have to worry about a thing in his life. Cool.....Not everyone makes that much

Peter Lik has plenty of worries, I expect. He's running a medium sized company. $6.5M (well, the deal total was $10M and included several prints, says the one and only source -- Peter Lik's web site) was definitely a nice cash infusion, no more.

I do alright, probably sold like $3k in prints last year. Not enough to survive off of by any means but I sell a decent amount of prints
where did you sell them? exhibitions? online? flea markets? anywhere possible? Have you tried making Photo Books and see if that goes better? or maybe do it both ways so you can supplement your income??

IMHO, a photograph is more value if it has a personal story behind it.

Last edited:
Only a few can make a good living selling fine art type prints. You can make some money but you have to have something very special to offer. I have sold over 300 copies of the one print and only a few other different prints since getting into photography 5 years ago. From what I've learned on here you have to be a better salesman than photographer to make a living at any type of photography.

Be sure to leave a couple storage lockers full of SD cards, Lew.

where did you sell them? exhibitions? online? flea markets? anywhere possible? Have you tried making Photo Books and see if that goes better? or maybe do it both ways so you can supplement your income??

primarily through my website and a few prints through gallery showings. Flea markets are not the market I want to cater to or would expect to sell much in. I don't think photo books would work well for what I do either, as a book needs to have more of a consistent theme throughout, I would think. I'm more than happy to sell a few prints every month, and then a bunch around Christmas, as it's more of supplemental income that funds more gear and trips. I work a "real" job painting houses which pays my bills, and leaves plenty of time to shoot photos. Promoting and marketing my work is already a ton of work just to sell a few grand in prints a year

Most reactions

New Topics

Back