Do people even know what film is any more?

Actor

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
There are at least two threads on this forum posted by noobs with questions about their digital cameras. The forum's title is clearly "Film Discussion and Q&A." Don't these people know what film is?

Last edited:
If they've put their thread in the wrong place then just use the report post feature to alert the moderation team that the thread needs to be moved :)

Film is that stuff that goes in my Canon slr's that have been in my closet until about a month ago. I'm shootin, I'm playing with my light meter, using my lenses, converters, filters, in short having a great time.

One of them was me. I am new here and still getting the hang of the site. And yes, lol. I do know what film is.

I just got through a roll of Kodachrome yesterday. I've got to send it out to Dwayne's in a couple of days. But yes, I'm 19 and prefer film, thing is, there are no dakrooms anywhere near me! My college shut theirs down a couple of years back and I don't have the space or money to make my own yet.

You guys have renewed my hope in film. I have been out of the photography scene for a number of years for reasons I dont need to go into here.
I admit I was a bit upset when I came to the realization( false as it may have been) that DSLR tech was rendering my hard earned knowledge obsolete.
Now, I am looking forward to setting up my own darkroom, buying some medium format gear to supplement my existing 35mm setup and going to town on some film and prints! As I mentioned in another post I have enough negatives to keep me busy for at least a year even if I dont shoot another roll.
That said I do own a DSLR and am slowly learning to use it, but film is my first love in photography. Does this mean I have chosen a "side". Oh god.:confused:
I didnt even know this debate was raging in the photography world, though I might have guessed.

Do people even know what film is any more?

I've seen evidence of this before. I am ashamed of the way things have been proceeding. I understand everything moves forward but sometimes people just have to remember that there is a past. Film does exist, it is still used and I can even tolerate the occational thread misplacement, but there is a little bit of frequency in ignorance IMHO. I too have to wonder if todays average beginner knows what film is.

I've seen evidence of this before. I am ashamed of the way things have been proceeding. I understand everything moves forward but sometimes people just have to remember that there is a past. Film does exist, it is still used and I can even tolerate the occational thread misplacement, but there is a little bit of frequency in ignorance IMHO. I too have to wonder if todays average beginner knows what film is.
Got a call few days from a friend, her brother wants to get into photography and wannted me to talk to him regarding it. So we start talking and I tell the guy - by your self disposable 35mm, shoot it, develop it and we'll meet to discuss it. OF COURSE he asked WHY to which i replied that it'll teach him "think first, shoot later". His reply was "isn't it easier just to shoot digital and then look at pictures?
Ignorance or maybe even arrogance :) :(

Got a call few days from a friend, her brother wants to get into photography and wannted me to talk to him regarding it. So we start talking and I tell the guy - by your self disposable 35mm, shoot it, develop it and we'll meet to discuss it. OF COURSE he asked WHY to which i replied that it'll teach him "think first, shoot later". His reply was "isn't it easier just to shoot digital and then look at pictures?
Ignorance or maybe even arrogance :) :(

Suprisingly I had a kid come to me the other day talking to me about his photography class. He was dissapointed with his photos of late. I've known this kid since he was...well A kid. When I asked what he was shooting he kinda seemed ashamed but did tell me. He is shooting for class with his cell phone. He has to because he is still a student and the school took his loaner SLR away because they can no longer process film in school and his job don't pay squat so he can't even afford a deisent dP&S.

Much to my suprise he had actually been wanting to go back to film and to ask me what camera it was that I had originally reccomended a few years ago, so we poured over E-bay looking for an AE-1 setup or an EF like the one I use that would fit his budget. He was also interested in a scanner as well. This likely would no be the case if I shot digital. He likely would give up considering the price of digital equipment.

*EDIT*

Some of his photos can be seen here

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back