Do photographers make good money?

We aren't in a large metropolis but I just counted 73 listings for photographers within a 25 mile radius. Of that most were MWC's (Mom's with cameras), only a half dozen or so listed a studio address. I've seen countless ads on FB offering sets for $35 and a DVD of pictures. The quality is horrible, no editing. They don't last long, but there's always new ones coming in.

How legitimate businesses can make a living is beyond me.

Limited interest in my photos - the next few days will tell if I get a conversion.

Decent interest in my t-shirts though. And my target demographic was largely absent, which is encouraging, as I suspect given the time of year that they'll show up next time.

you'd probably do better having physical photo prints on hand to sell. most sales are spur of the moment purchases. if they think about it, they probably won't bother to purchase or even visit your site. i do pretty well with large framed prints (2 sizes) and 4x6" notecards. keep your options small so you don't overwhelm the buyer. if they go home and measure but swear they're coming back to purchase, it's probably not happening.

yeah true - in my experience if someone says they're going to get some cash you're running at about a fifty percent chance of a return.

I do have my best work up on display, so if someone falls in love there's really nothing stopping them from making an offer. Christmas markets coming up. We'll see.

yeah true - in my experience if someone says they're going to get some cash you're running at about a fifty percent chance of a return.

I do have my best work up on display, so if someone falls in love there's really nothing stopping them from making an offer. Christmas markets coming up. We'll see.

put a price sheet up so people know what it would cost.

A photographer's salary depends on their experience, the type of photography they specialize in, and the geographical location. Commercial photographers, who take pictures of products or models for magazines, businesses, and advertising agencies, earn the highest wages. Fashion photographers may also earn high incomes, although earnings are often dependent on celebrity endorsements and whether the photographer is in demand. Wedding photographers typically earn less than commercial photographers but can still make a good living. Many talented photographers supplement their income with teaching jobs or by selling their photos as stock footage. In general, photographers who are willing to travel, have a niche specialty, or are able to take advantage of technological advances such as digital manipulation earn the highest incomes. While there is no one answer to the question of how much money photographers make, it is safe to say that those who are successful can enjoy comfortable lifestyles.

Some very good answers, and the variety, from MWCs and Dad's to contract jobs, to craft fairs and websites. I think the market to get hired as a photographer is very slim to none and the competition is well over saturated for the market.

In 1969 or so, I was taking a photo course and reading the stock photo books, and suppliers magazines. I asked the head instructor who said, newspapers and magazines are laying off staff, you don't really want to become a professional photographer. Well I didn't anyway, something "really good" came up, instead.

As a comparison, I did some volunteer work for a museum and said it was interesting how the archeologists had interesting work beyond just teaching. The head of the rescue group who also taught and was very highly regarded in the state said, "you could shoot ever employed archaeologist in the country and the next graduating class would fill all the available positions."

I think photography is even a tougher endeavor to find a good paying position.

Some people do make money and some make a living, and some people live from Youtube views. I suppose some people make their living from stock photos. But the answer is, most don't and most never will. I know I don't actually make a profit, but it's nice to have the Schedule C and deductions and I claim every penny I make, and also depreciate equipment and on rare assignments take travel and lodging expenses to file. How that still shows as a profit and income that's taxable, is beyond me, but I'm happy.

So along with, start with a business plan, and planning and understanding the market someone chooses for their profession, there also is a need to keep good records, starting before day one, cost of starting out, accounting of income and expenses. If someone wants the job and the income and a self supporting business, there are licenses and details to consider.

I'll never say, don't do it, but I will say, investigate and be realistic about how much someone can earn from being some sort of photographer. I suppose it's possible to start part time and try to break in?

Last I read fashion is highly competitive and doesn't pay well, because there are too many people who want to do that. I'd say the same for food photos and shooting models. The most attractive markets, draw the most people trying to work them, more competition drives down prices. If the idea is to be famous and do something high profile, the climb up is steeper and has more obstacles. Room at the top is very small.

Salaries are based on scarcity like any other cost that goes into a product. Digital cameras have made taking good pictures less scarce, hence the lower earnings the average photographer can make. Too much competition. You have to bring something special to the table to make good money.

Also, like most businesses, having a good business head is often more important than the craft. Take business courses along with trade courses. Work for a business photographer and learn stuff from them.

A photographer's salary depends on their experience, the type of photography they specialize in,

Something not often mentioned and an area deemed to yucky for most MWC's and the squeamish is forensic photography. Back in the 70's I made some descent side income documenting everything from accidents, injuries, crime scenes, and medical procedures. Like I said some of it is not for the faint of heart.

Interesting. Honestly I've only been focused on the "Art" aspect of the craft. Nice to know there are a variety of other avenues I can pursue. I can think of worse ways to make a living.

@Mattp311 The police jobs are the most plentiful but at the lower end of the pay scale https://www.indeed.com/q-Forensic-Photography-jobs.html?vjk=d0d4691be58f169e , medical pays a little better https://www.indeed.com/jobs?q=Medic...um=redir&utm_campaign=dt&vjk=05fa486365770f51 as do the business oriented https://www.indeed.com/jobs?q=Insur...um=redir&utm_campaign=dt&vjk=74f211bf24bcc05a

Here's an interesting one...Get pd $1-1500/week to light up. LOL
Screenshot 2022-10-28 154207.jpg

If I were still smoking weed that would be prefect ;) Thanks for the tips.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back