Do these look to over-sharpend to you?

DoshKel

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I took some shots of my brother recording, and decided to sharpen some. Are the over-sharpend? After I saved them I realized that I might of gone too far :lol:.

1)
2969776473_bcef845c20.jpg

2)
2969776099_c0de3e00e4.jpg

3) (this is me haha)
2970618030_1030e61cf8.jpg

4)
2970617536_2f8a9dcf8c.jpg

5)
2970617754_914d733487.jpg

Thanks for any comments!

Over sharpening starts to blow highlights, or increase noise, I don't see that in your images at this resolution.

Yeah, funny one of you! Over concentrating... :lol:

-Shea

I was expecting these to be obviously over done but, they arent.

Haha thanks guys your making feel really good :). What do you think of the pictures overall?

that was not so sharp for me. the skin complexion still shows..

Sharpening blows highlights? That's a new one on me.

Like others, I think these look fine. As a general rule if you zoom in at 100% while sharpening and just make sure you don't see much of a halo, you're probably good. That being said, how much you sharpen is very much a preference, and sometimes overdoing it lends an interesting style to certain images.

If it helps at all, I find I sharpen most pictures at about 75-125% at a .8-1.2 pixel radius on a 12MP image. I tend to use smart sharpen for objects and unsharp mask for people. (These are all Photoshop settings) I have a Nikon D300 and I have the on-camera sharpening turned up 1 notch as it is. (all cameras are different on how sharp they are out of the box, so I figured that last bit was important)

Thanks manaheim. I use the Xti, and i'm not sure there on on-camera sharpening though. I'll look into that... it sounds awesome :). I used the unsharp mask setting in GIMP for these.

The more I look at them, I like them, but with all my pictures right now they aren't at the level which I want to be haha. Soon though.

Thanks manaheim. I use the Xti, and i'm not sure there on on-camera sharpening though. I'll look into that... it sounds awesome :). I used the unsharp mask setting in GIMP for these.

The more I look at them, I like them, but with all my pictures right now they aren't at the level which I want to be haha. Soon though.

Just be careful on the on-camera sharpness adjustments. You don't want ot oversharpen because you can basically never unsharpen an image (which further makes one wonder why its an "unsharp mask").

Thats a good point. Hey manaheim, if you don't mind, can you tell me what I could fix on these pictures haha.

Thats a good point. Hey manaheim, if you don't mind, can you tell me what I could fix on these pictures haha.

Honestly, I like them all. The direct flash in the last one was a bit harsh- try to avoid that- bounce off the ceiling or a wall or something. The one where there is an air duct above his head--- I might have put more of him in the frame, maybe moved in a touch closer. A couple of them are a little underexposed, but not overly so.

Still, these are nitpicks. I think they're great images overall.

Cool thanks a lot. I appreciate the nitpicks haha.

I'm going to go back and try to fix the exposure. Also now that I have my E-TTL cord, i'm going to work on my flash skills too :).

I really like the last one! The details don't seem over-sharpened to me at all, but it is clear to me that the sharpening is bringing out a lot of overall noise. This is particularly apparent in the first three (the third one shows it very clearly).

Most reactions

New Topics

Back