Do they know it's Christmas?

Mystgicus

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi guys,

This is the third photo in the storytelling series, if you haven't seen the ones before, here they are:
Fishermen by the sea
A morning with the locals

Same as last time, just leave your comments below and tell me what you think the story behind this photo is, what you like or dislike about it, how it can be improved, what's missing, overall technical aspects, etc; basically anything that comes to mind.

Cheers!

000000120034.jpg

Hi @Mystgicus !

I've looked through all three of your photos. There are aspects that I like, and a few that I would change.

You have a good eye at finding stories in your images. I like the mood you convey, as well.

I think your composition needs to be tighter around the subjects. For example, in this shot, there is a lot of negative space to the bottom and left that I'm not certain adds to the photo. If this were cropped to remove portions of the bike, and you left only the mother/child and the Christmas tree, I think it would make for a stronger image.

I've noticed this same thing in the other two images you posted. They're good, but there's too much negative space that I personally don't think adds to the image.

I've made a few suggestions regarding crops. These are just quick thoughts. They may or may not work?

TighterCrop2.jpg

TighterCrop.jpg

tightercrop3.jpg

Hi @Mystgicus !

I've looked through all three of your photos. There are aspects that I like, and a few that I would change.

You have a good eye at finding stories in your images. I like the mood you convey, as well.

I think your composition needs to be tighter around the subjects. For example, in this shot, there is a lot of negative space to the bottom and left that I'm not certain adds to the photo. If this were cropped to remove portions of the bike, and you left only the mother/child and the Christmas tree, I think it would make for a stronger image.

I've noticed this same thing in the other two images you posted. They're good, but there's too much negative space that I personally don't think adds to the image.

I've made a few suggestions regarding crops. These are just quick thoughts. They may or may not work?

View attachment 161541

View attachment 161540

View attachment 161542
Thanks Waday!

I agree that they look better with your crops. This is certainly what I need to work on more - to get better at framing and not being afraid of cropping ;)

I’m glad the mood and stories appeal to you, thanks again for taking the time on providing feedback!

Same as last time, just leave your comments below and tell me what you think the story behind this photo is, what you like or dislike about it, how it can be improved, what's missing, overall technical aspects, etc; basically anything that comes to mind.
I'm not getting a "story" here. I don't know what the subjects are doing, even though they could be experiencing some emotion, but I don't know what that is. And why the bicycle? Did the boy fall while trying to learn how to ride, and his mother is consoling him? If so, he is showing the wrong emotion for being injured.

I'm not getting a "story" here. I don't know what the subjects are doing, even though they could be experiencing some emotion, but I don't know what that is. And why the bicycle? Did the boy fall while trying to learn how to ride, and his mother is consoling him? If so, he is showing the wrong emotion for being injured.

The bicycle is indeed distracting from the picture. I was trying to show contrast between the Christmas display and the emotion of the mother and boy. I guess it didn't work out in the end.

Most reactions

Back