Fishermen by the sea

Mystgicus

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi guys,

I'm trying to improve my storytelling skills by uploading a series of photos taken over the past few years for critique.

Please leave your comments below and tell me what you think the story behind this photo is, what you like or dislike about it, how it can be improved, what's missing, overall technical aspects, etc; basically anything that comes to mind.

Cheers!

_DSC0753.jpg

I like the image. It makes me think guys coming in from a long day and a storm is rolling in. Probably would look good in B & W as well.

I like the image. It makes me think guys coming in from a long day and a storm is rolling in. Probably would look good in B & W as well.
Thanks! Glad the image evoked some mood. Agreed that B&W might be better to bring out the different tones.

This image definitely tells a story ... on a compositional note, generally one should avoid bisecting the photo into two equal halves. I would crop either some of the topmost clouds, as the upper clouds do not add much context to the image. Or I'd crop out some of the rocks, as these rocks, like the clouds, do not add significant context to the image. Cropping some of the clouds or some of the rocks would move the horizon from a 1/2 - 1/2 position to a 1/3rd - 2/3rd position.

This image definitely tells a story ... on a compositional note, generally one should avoid bisecting the photo into two equal halves. I would crop either some of the topmost clouds, as the upper clouds do not add much context to the image. Or I'd crop out some of the rocks, as these rocks, like the clouds, do not add significant context to the image. Cropping some of the clouds or some of the rocks would move the horizon from a 1/2 - 1/2 position to a 1/3rd - 2/3rd position.
Thanks! Good point on too much negative space. I suppose a tighter crop would make a stronger image

Thanks! Good point on too much negative space. I suppose a tighter crop would make a stronger image

Don't think you need a tighter crop. Change aspect ratio to 16:9 to keep the width then move image up or down to lose some sky or rocks. Either looks good although I think I prefer more sky.

Don't think you need a tighter crop. Change aspect ratio to 16:9 to keep the width then move image up or down to lose some sky or rocks. Either looks good although I think I prefer more sky.
Yup, that could work too, and might add some “cinematic“ feel to the image :05.18-flustered:

Most reactions

Back