Do you advocate a 50mm lens?

babbupandey

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I recently got a D90 for me along with 18-105 kit lens and 55-200 telephoto zoom.
However, I am also thinking of buying a 50mm standard lens with f/1.4
What do you all recommend, should I buy that lens (around $250) or wait and buy a better lens like f/1.2 - or can I miss buying a 50mm altogether.
I am an amateur, into general photography, occasional wildlife, occasional landscape and occasional sports (lol)

Go out and buy a 50mm 1.8D for 100$.

Can't wait until I get mine.

edit: That is, If you need a new lens. For now just play around with your 18-105 and 55-200. Why do you want a 50mm? If you can think about why you need it then go for it.

^^ Same as above. I am hoping to get one for my bday, because i need the low-light performace, the ability to create a shallow dof, and a good portrait lens.

The reason I want to buy this lens is because people say that you learn your photography with standard lenses only.

You can learn photography by reading, seeking advice from pro's, and taking lots of pictures! Yes film and a prime might make you think more about composition but you don't have to have that to learn photography. Use what you have now and if you find that you need a faster lens, i.e. 1.4-1.8 then pick up that 50mm. GL
TJ

The reason I want to buy this lens is because people say that you learn your photography with standard lenses only.

My advice to you is to veer away from most advice that is absolute. There are many ways to do things and there's a lot of religion in photography.

A 50mm 1.8 is an exceptional lens for relatively low money and it will force you to learn how to deal with situations where you have to "zoom with your feet", and there is unquestionably value in that...

...it is, however, no more "required" than learning how to focus manually, work without a light meter, or walk 12 miles to market to sell the family cow.

You can learn photography by reading, seeking advice from pro's, and taking lots of pictures! Yes film and a prime might make you think more about composition but you don't have to have that to learn photography. Use what you have now and if you find that you need a faster lens, i.e. 1.4-1.8 then pick up that 50mm. GL
TJ

My advice to you is to veer away from most advice that is absolute. There are many ways to do things and there's a lot of religion in photography.

A 50mm 1.8 is an exceptional lens for relatively low money and it will force you to learn how to deal with situations where you have to "zoom with your feet", and there is unquestionably value in that...

...it is, however, no more "required" than learning how to focus manually, work without a light meter, or walk 12 miles to market to sell the family cow.

Thanks guys!
I guess I will desist for now (difficult thought though)

A lot of people have said it. A 50mm 1.8 is sharp, cheap, and it can teach you a lot about photography. Lenses hold their value. Buy one for $100, use it for a year, sell it for $85, and buy something bigger.

A lot of people have said it. A 50mm 1.8 is sharp, cheap, and it can teach you a lot about photography. Lenses hold their value. Buy one for $100, use it for a year, sell it for $85, and buy something bigger.

Or just keep it, it's piratically standard in most photography kits the pros use.

Not to be harsh but thats not really a "valid" reason to want a prime.

Play around with your 18-105 and 55-200mm until you're experienced enough to make a good lens decision based on features and your photographic needs.

You can learn photography with any lens so don't let that sway you.
When you get to the point you your lens is what is keeping you from getting better images go get a 50mm.
I use mine for about 1/2 of what I do now. It is a great lens but it won't cure all ills.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:
Only thing I would say different is that a 35mm "1.8 is an exceptional lens for relatively low money and it will force you to learn how to deal with situations where you have to "zoom with your feet", and there is unquestionably value in that..."

You are a salespersons dream come true. :lol:

Ain't he? And to think I have a bridge to sell :lmao:

Or just keep it, it's piratically standard in most photography kits the pros use.

True, it is standard because, once upon a time, that's what you got with the body, but it might be worth asking how often it gets used. Mine is practically brand new from total lack of use after a very short while. The only reason I kept it is in case I killed my 35mm.

I don't know what this obsession with the 50mm is but, tbh, it is the most boring lens out there. In the days of film (also valid for FullFrame bodies) it was a do it all type of lens. Although it did nothing in an interesting way. Today, the only reason it doesn't come standard with the body is that most people don't even know what a prime is :lol:

Threads advocating the buying of 50mm lenses are a dream come true for the manufacturers. Makes me wonder if they started this all thing :confused:

I almost regret getting the 50 right off the bat instead of the d90. I started off on a pentax film camera with only prime lenses (a 50mm and 28mm) then when I moved to digital, the 50mm seemed the obvious choice. Now, when I use my 18-70 or when I borrow/rent other lenses, I find I have trouble composing anything at any focal length other than 50mm. I have actually put a thick elastic band overlapping the front of my lens and the body of it to stop myself from zooming to 50 :lol:

Most reactions

Back