Do you believe in special powers you can't control?

Dikkie

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
linktr.ee
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I believe in weird coincidences or synchronicities...
e.g. you wake up in the morning lying in your bed, with a funny song in your head that you haven't heard for over 20 years or so, bringing back nostalgic feelings.
You get up to prepare your breakfast and put on the radio.... suddenly that exact same song is played on the radio. How is that happening? What are the odds?
Later that same day, you go to the city and walk by a pub and you hear music playing loudly and it happens to be exact that same song, again! What are the odds?

I have experienced lots of these situations already before, it gives me goosebumps.

You're in a car talking to your wife about this guy you haven't spoken to for more than 10 years. Suddenly, 15 minutes later, your phone rings... who do you think this is? Exactly thát guy.
Such things....

Just can't explain why that happens, maybe someone can tell me more :)

Also, it seems there is some 'force' that stops me from doing certain things, or that alters the storyline of my life so that I can't color outside these lines.

For example, you intentionally decide to do something wrong, like going to buy and use drugs. You plan your moment wisely to enjoy your 'trip' without getting interrupted so you can enjoy the most, and do it on an empty weekend day.
You try to contact a dealer you know, but he doesn't pick up his phone. You try another one, but he's on holiday, abroad.
You go downtown looking for someone you know but he doesn't open the door. Finally you find someone who knows someone else, you need to get a bus to get there but the bus doesn't show up, cancelled... and you walk and walk around for hours and get in touch with a dealer, but he just ran out of stock and can't deliver.
You see, every attempt is aborted by some coincidence, 'something', or some 'force' out there is stopping or preventing you from buying those drugs.
Imagine you finally bought some, and get to the point to use them, just that moment your phone rings, your mom just calls because your dad fell off a ladder and you need to get there quickly to help. There goes your moment ;)

Such things also seem to happen to me, when I'm trying to do things that I shouldn't.
And mostly, if I persevere, I will succeed doing this bad stuff, however with many detours.
(not that I'm using drugs, it's just an example)

It's reminds me of Murphy's Law, when something can go wrong, it will go wrong, you have such days. But here's the way around, when you want to do wrong, it goes right ... sigh

Creativity.

it's a sign that not only are you losing your marbles...

jc
:)

but that you are highly creative. Use it.

Yes, gravity often baffles me. Be nice to get control of that power once in awhile.

When it comes to that drug thing, yes, you ought to listen to God. He's telling you something and you ought to pay attention. :)

Speaking of coincidences like that reminds me of this:

This is a story of a man, who was a firm believer of god.

One day it began to rain very heavily. It kept raining and a big flood came.
The man climbed up on the roof of his house, and knew that he would be ok. God would protect him.

It kept raining and now the water had reached his waist. A boat came by and a guy in the boat said: “Hey, jump in. We will take you with us”.
“No thanks”, said the man. “I’m a firm believer in God. He will rescue me”. He sent the boat away.

It kept on raining and now the water had reached his neck. Another boat came by and a guy in the boat said: “You look like you could need some help. Jump in and we will take you with us”.
“No”, said the man. “I’m a firm believer in God. He will rescue me. Don’t worry about me”. The boat sailed away.

It still rained and the water now reached his mouth. A helicopter came by and a guy in the helicopter threw down a rope and said: “Hi there my friend. Climb up. We will rescue you”.
“No”, said the man. “I’m a firm believer in God. He will rescue me. I know he will”. The helicopter flew away.

It kept on raining, and finally the man drowned.

When the man died, he went to heaven. When entering Heaven, he had an interview with God.
After giving a polite greeting and sitting down, the man asked: “Where were you. I waited and waited. I was sure you would rescue me, as I have been a firm believer all my life, and have only done good to others. So where were you when I needed you?”
God scratched his confused looking face and answered: “I don’t get it either. I sent you two boats and a helicopter”.

Many who believe in God or in Karma etc. somehow believes that signs of help and guidance comes as a big event of some kind, when actually it would probably come as small signs of help here and there along the way.

Listen to the world around you. You might just find the answer there.

It's called the frequency illusion, or the Baader-Meinhof Phenomenon.

Basically, it's not that all of a sudden that song plays again after years of not being played. It's that your brain ignored all the other times you heard it. But because it popped into your head, your brain is now primed to pay attention to it, and you start hearing everywhere. Even though it seems like it's out of nowhere, it really isn't.

Meanwhile, because you're already inclined to believe in "powers you can't control," you take this all to mean that there's something bigger going on and you use it as evidence to confirm what you already believe.

Physics and elements.

As in @AlanKlein post above I also believe that the signs or guidance are there throughout our life, if we are receptive to receive and as in the story they aren't always big events. As I've aged it has become more evident when viewed over a long time frame. I also believe that while God is all powerful, there is an element of "Chance" beyond his control.

As in @AlanKlein post above I also believe that the signs or guidance are there throughout our life, if we are receptive to receive and as in the story they aren't always big events. As I've aged it has become more evident when viewed over a long time frame. I also believe that while God is all powerful, there is an element of "Chance" beyond his control.
It was Einstein who said, "God doesn't play dice."

was Einstein who said, "God doesn't play dice."
Knowing the outcome and influencing the outcome are two different things. Then there's the whole "free will" thing.

Since I fear the direction this thread is going might be approaching the line on forum rules, it's probably best for me to back out now. Have a good one all.

It's called the frequency illusion, or the Baader-Meinhof Phenomenon.
That's only when it appears frequently and the frequency gets higher because you start giving it more attention.

I know when I start looking to shoot a series of photos of watertowers, I go 'hunt' watertowers and suddenly spot them everywhere. Even in my subconsciousness.
That's exactly that frequency illusion.

However, that wasn't what I meant. Maybe my example was not so good, as I mentioned the appearance of that specific event twice, like it has a frequency, it could be classified as that frequency.... but that was just to show another example.
What I actually meant was that this event appears only just once, as a coincidence. And no matter how much attention you give, it's not happening again anymore for a long time.

Basically, it's not that all of a sudden that song plays again after years of not being played. It's that your brain ignored all the other times you heard it. But because it popped into your head, your brain is now primed to pay attention to it, and you start hearing everywhere. Even though it seems like it's out of nowhere, it really isn't.
That song example was pretty bad example for what I tried to say ...it seems
As a musician, when I hear music, even on the background, I can't resist to listen actively. It's very seldom that I listen passively.
That's why I turn the music off when I'm busy with a job where I need my head and think. Because otherwise I start paying too much attention to the background music and stop working productively, I just can't ignore it.
There's some music out there that's emotionally very close attached to my heart, when I hear it my brain would certainly not ignore it.

I want to point back to the word 'coincidence'.
For example, you're sitting with a couple of friends in a bar drinking a beer, no one else is out there. You start talking about holidays and about a journey you once did years ago in Finland. A brand of beer you once drunk there comes up in your mind, 'Karhu'. You haven't seen that beer or logo for years because in your country it doesn't exist.
Than, out of a sudden, some dude walks into the bar, you turn your head to check him out and see he's wearing a shirt of Karhu beer.
Total coincidence, what are the odds?
It's not happening anymore in the next couple of years, it's not a frequency of that you start seeing people with that shirt anymore, or find that beer out of a sudden in your supermarket, no, just once... It's just coincidence.

And on a day when such coincidence happens, more other coincidences seem to happen (all different and non related), very weird.
On such moments I think: 'maybe some force tries to warn me for something by giving these signs'.

Since I fear the direction this thread is going might be approaching the line on forum rules, it's probably best for me to back out now. Have a good one all.
Please stay. You're welcome.

This topic wasn't meant about discussing religions or pro/contra.

I'm more the type of agnostic one myself, but I don't mind other people to passionately talk about their beliefs or religions, in a way that I can learn something more about them. But we're not here to convince one another from some belief.

But this topic idea was more about other stuff: paranormal activity, ufo's, ghosts, mediums, clairvoyance, astrology, fortune telling, telepathy, voodoo, precognitive dreams, déjà vu, spiritual healing, and so on...

Does anyone have some cool experiences or testimonials? Please share them!

Folks, this is the Off Topic forum, so this thread is in the appropriate place.

That said, TPF has pretty strict rules regarding discussions of certain topics, and religion is among them. We're all different, and have our own personal beliefs, to which we are entitled.

Please keep things respectful and civil, or expect to see your posts deleted and the thread locked. Let's be different from the typical internet forum and respect each other here, how about that? We don't have to agree. We only have to be polite. Thanks!

Most reactions

Back