Do you ever feel limited..

D-B-J

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
By your location? I feel like sometimes i'll look at a photo somebody took of a beautiful landscape and think, "Ya know, i could do that. I could take that picture. But i don't have anything like that near me."

But maybe that's just me.

i think everyone thinks that way at one point or another. i know when i first started taking photos i found all the cool locations around me pretty quickly. then i was forced to branch out further and further and now im usually traveling a couple hours away looking for interesting stuff. but my advice is to never stop exploring.

i think everyone thinks that way at one point or another. i know when i first started taking photos i found all the cool locations around me pretty quickly. then i was forced to branch out further and further and now im usually traveling a couple hours away looking for interesting stuff. but my advice is to never stop exploring.

Oh i never will stop exploring. But sometimes it just ticks me off. Although college starts soon, and that's a whole new area to explore and photograph.

I have felt that way......but I know it is an excuse.:sexywink: I think we take for granted the things we live around. There are beautiful landscapes all around us!!

I know the feeling all too well. I have some mobility problems [peripheral neuropathy in lower legs and feet] and can no longer drive nor walk very well so I need to rely on my husband to take me places on his day off. I'm stuck with an overgrown yard to wander in all week looking for something "new and interesting" and one day a week I get to go "someplace close" because hubby is too tired to make a long drive or there just isn't time after running errands. I get reall frustrated at times because I look at all the interesting things others find to photograph and the best I can find in my area anymore is an old foundation to an iron furnace -ie: a pile of rocks! It really can make a person feel like Charlie Brown...you know the Great Pumpkin and all the other kids get candy and Charlie gets the rock :er: ~~Sigh~~ So yep - been there done that.

I feel more frustrated by my lack of skill then anything. I see something beautiful, and then capture a completely mediocre picture of it that looks nothing like what I was observing. That's why I'm here trying to learn though, to be slightly less mediocre. :)

Yes I know what you mean, and I felt that way when I wanted to take pictures of mountains but lived in the midwest. Since I moved to CA its been better and much more of what I want to take pictures of. In the midwest it was harder to find things to shoot, although it was possible.
I think being stuck in a mediocre location may make you a better photographer because you have to think much harder about your composition.

There is no ocean, beaches, or snow capped 14,000 foot, craggy mountains here in Iowa.

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/general-gallery/206956-corn-today.html

In the summer:
We have corn. We have soybeans.

In the fall:
We have bare, harvested fields.

In the winter
We have snow covered harvested fields.

In the spring:
We have freshly plowed and planted fields.

There is no ocean, beaches, or snow capped 14,000 foot, craggy mountains here in Iowa.

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/general-gallery/206956-corn-today.html

In the summer:
We have corn. We have soybeans.

In the fall:
We have bare, harvested fields.

In the winter
We have snow covered harvested fields.

In the spring:
We have freshly plowed and planted fields.

very nice with the corn time lapse!
dont sell iowa short, you have lots of farm equipment to shoot and there are caves in the NE section.

Everyone has or had that feeling from time to time. People tend to like things more when they don't see them every day ;) We find something special or exotic, because we visit that place rarely (or once in a lifetime). But if you would live there (doesn't matter where) for a longer period of time, you wouldn't find the location/things that special.

I feel the same way a lot of times.

One of my biggest regrets is that I wasn't into photography when I was in the Navy. I saw a lot of amazing places and scenes at sea that were literally breathtaking. Didn't take a photo of any of it.

Another voice to add that I'm very similar as well - I think its a simple fact that when we are live within an environment we can quickly become accustomed to it; that directly limits our artistic vision since we look with more bland eyes (we don't "look" as intensely as when we are in a new environment).

There are photos to be had anywhere - from under your bathroom sink to in the middle of the Amazon Jungle. The key is learning to see those photos. However I wouldn't torment yourself with trying to see every photo there is out there - just learn to find those photos that you like best and want to create and let others find the rest of the stuff.

Everyone has or had that feeling from time to time. People tend to like things more when they don't see them every day ;) We find something special or exotic, because we visit that place rarely (or once in a lifetime). But if you would live there (doesn't matter where) for a longer period of time, you wouldn't find the location/things that special.

I think this is right on, like people who live in NYC and have never been to the statue of liberty.

Where you live is very interesting to someone who doesn't live there. Take pictures of all the cool stuff that bores the snot out of you and lock it up in a safe somewhere to be taken out when you move somewhere else. :)

Most reactions

Back