do you frown upon lightroom?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmmm could it be... Where's Bitter he always remembers the ones who we lose

Why isn't it?

didnt know the dark room process came with algorithm based pre-sets and sliders

actually....dark room processes DO come with algorithm based pre-sets....
except they are called development times, chemical mixes, dodging, burning...but ALL have preset numbers you can start with, and then tweak to your own desires...just like photoshop or lightroom lets you do on your computer.
the execution of the post processing has changed. the concept has not.

thank you for just describing the method that IS photography. clearly you understand it. now my only question is how could someone with your level of understanding consider the darkroom process and sliding bars on a computer the same thing

ha making a living the past 43 years taking pictures is far from newbie. however a newbie to the internet is accurate. and i will cling to the notion because when you ad in the digital process at some point they stop being photographs and start being digital art, am i right?[/QUOTE]

Maybe but my stone bedroom wall got painted brown lately. So now is it a wall or a painting

i just find it funny that people embrace lightroom but if i posted my work and it was my instagram account i would get blown to bits in a discussion on if my work is professional
Well...is it instagram? :) You're being a mite presumptuous on attitudes here, for a newbie. You've not shared anything, just seem to be building a slow fire and watching the flames get higher. It's cool that you seem to support analog processing - so do I. But let us not cling to the notion that there is only ONE way to get to an image.

Here's a quote for you to ponder. You may have heard of the photographer who said it:

"There's no particular class of photograph that I think is any better than any other class. I'm always and forever looking for the image that has spirit! I don't give a damn how it got made."
-Minor White, Interviews With Master Photographers.

ha making a living the past 43 years taking pictures is far from newbie. however a newbie to the internet is accurate. and i will cling to the notion because when you ad in the digital process at some point they stop being photographs and start being digital art, am i right?

whats the difference? photograph? art?

Well, they're probably "digital art" as soon as you shot them with a digital camera, no matter what you do with them next.

What about when you print them? They are no longer digital.

ha making a living the past 43 years taking pictures is far from newbie. however a newbie to the internet is accurate. and i will cling to the notion because when you ad in the digital process at some point they stop being photographs and start being digital art, am i right?

Maybe but my stone bedroom wall got painted brown lately. So now is it a wall or a painting[/QUOTE]

that would be a painting on a stone medium

didnt know the dark room process came with algorithm based pre-sets and sliders

except they are called development times, chemical mixes, dodging, burning...but ALL have preset numbers you can start with, and then tweak to your own desires...just like photoshop or lightroom lets you do on your computer.

thank you for just describing the method that IS photography. clearly you understand it. now my only question is how could someone with your level of understanding consider the darkroom process and sliding bars on a computer the same thing

because the darkroom methods are still preset. your given the "right" formula for chemical mixes. tank times for B&W.
and for most other darkroom techniques. its still processing the photo. its STILL changing what your camera took.
the process may be different, but the end result is still the same as if you had done it in lightroom. your still doing the same things.
cropping is cropping, no matter how it is done. color correction, WB, image stacking...what difference does it make HOW you change that image, if the image is still being changed from what was originally taken in camera?

because the darkroom methods are still preset. your given the "right" formula for chemical mixes. tank times for B&W.
and for most other darkroom techniques. its still processing the photo. its STILL changing what your camera took.
the process may be different, but the end result is still the same as if you had done it in lightroom. your still doing the same things.
cropping is cropping, no matter how it is done. color correction, WB, image stacking...what difference does it make HOW you change that image, if the image is still being changed from what was originally taken in camera?

does the cheapening of the process not offend you at all? even on a professional level?

This is like saying an author is not an author if they use a computer and word processing program instead of a pen and paper. Guess those of use with digital cameras are sol for processing cause last I checked the chemicals used in a dark room were harmful to electronics. TROLL much?

does the cheapening of the process not offend you at all? even on a professional level?

not really. because post processing isn't new. its been around since the first wet plates were developed. since man first looked at a photograph and thought.."i can make this look better", post processing has been around. how is it cheapening when nothing has really changed? photos are still cropped, colors are still corrected...do you somehow feel superior because you can use a pre-determined number off a film roll to time your B&W photos? or a chemical mix that someone else invented to develop your pictures?

This is like saying an author is not an author if they use a computer and word processing program instead of a pen and paper. Guess those of use with digital cameras are sol for processing cause last I checked the chemicals used in a dark room were harmful to electronics. TROLL much?

that is one of the worst attempts at parallel analogy i have ever read, work on it a bit and i will respond.

i think i have offended many of you by insulting the crutch that separates your work from what a soccer mom can do, but wait for the lightroom app then you will be equals

OP, a guy by the name of Ansel Adams spent hours and hours in the darkroom. Scrutinizing crops even as small as 1/8". Asking opinions of others frequently. Dodging and burning in the darkroom. Obsessing. Manipulating the image to his standards.

To paraphrase one of his thoughts, he acknowledged that the photographic tools of the future would be far more advanced than those available to him. He believed in using all the tools available to make the best shot possible.

I can never understand why you darkroom heroes like to come screaming at the sky about how your method is more "pure" and "superior" to modern digital photography.

It's nauseating.

that is one of the worst attempts at parallel analogy i have ever read, work on it a bit and i will respond.

i think i have offended many of you by insulting the crutch that separates your work from what a soccer mom can do, but wait for the lightroom app then you will be equals

so what do YOU process your photos with? are you saying you do NO post work at all?
i doubt you invented wet processing, so you must use predetermined mixes and ratios.
your cheating just as much as the rest of us. except your just not smart enough to realize it.
speaking of terrible analogies...you cant even accept the fact that darkroom processing is the same as any digital process.
seriously man, if you arent able to grasp the concept of digital processing, or have the ability to use it..its ok. not everyone is computer savy enough to use LR or PS. you dont have to troll here to boost your analog ego. we will still love you as a photographer.

OP, a guy by the name of Ansel Adams spent hours and hours in the darkroom. Scrutinizing crops even as small as 1/8". Asking opinions of others frequently. Dodging and burning in the darkroom. Obsessing. Manipulating the image to his standards.

To paraphrase one of his thoughts, he acknowledged that the photographic tools of the future would be far more advanced than those available to him. He believed in using all the tools available to make the best shot possible.

I can never understand why you darkroom heroes like to come in and scream at the sky about how your method is more "pure" and "superior" to modern digital photography.

It's nauseating.

i wish you understood reading comprehension better :( i never actually said it was more pure or superior i was simply saying it was DIFFERENT and there should be a line drawn in the professionalism of it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back