Do you guys have a favorite lighting setup/position?

Kbarredo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So every shoot I do I have 2 setups that I must use just because I love the look so much. I love the single light 80 degrees to the side and 45 degrees up, with a 16x20 softbox about half a foot away.
My other fave is 1 back light and 1 main light 45 degrees in front of the subject.

It really depends on what I'm doing... for certain things like head shots I often used a standard set up. I do like playing with single light setups and using a big Lastolite panel as a full-body reflector.

Do you guys have a favorite lighting setup/position?
Not really, though there are variety of classic set ups worth using repeatedly.

I particularly liked the variety of lighting possibilities accorded by shooting on location, which is why I used so many lights outside.

I wonder if you are familiar with the standard lighting set ups - broad, short, butterfly, dramatic, glamour, Rembrandt, etc, and how they relate to the results of doing a facial analysis of your subject?

Don't define what lighting you use to capture a subject, your subject should define what lighting is needed to be used to capture them.

Dramatic lighting produces shadows that are more in a vertical plane, or that use little or no fill. Think sinister, zombie, dark deep eye sockets, hard shadows between the chin and lips, etc.

Glamour lighting is high key and has few shadows.

Don't define what lighting you use to capture a subject, your subject should define what lighting is needed to be used to capture them.

What he said.

What he said.

Just want to add this is soooooo much easier to say, than to actually do. That's why I still stick to candid snapshots for now.

Totally agreed.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back