Do You Have a Point and Shoot For Backup?

PhotoXopher

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.lightartisan.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Well, not really for backup but for those times when you don't really feel like carrying your SLR/DSLR.

I've been kicking around the idea and read up on the following so far:

Nikon P6000
I like that this one could use my existing flash units that I use on my D90 (SB400 and SB600) and the fact that it has a built in GPS (something I enjoy on my D90 as well).

Canon G10
Seems to be the winner in most all reviews, I personally don't care for the controls but haven't played with it very long.

Panasonic LX3
Haven't seen one in person but seems to be missing some features I'd like, such as aperture priority.

Canon SX110
This one is my favorite so far for price/feature ratio plus it seems like fast glass for a P&S and the zoom is impressive (36mm-360mm optical).

I keep my Powershot A650 in my bag with everything else. It would be perfect if I could just get it to stop munching batteries like the cookie monster.

I have a Canon A570is and I love it! I take it with me when my husband and I go out on errands every week for that "always possible" shot. I look at it as a no muss no fuss feature to photography like the microwave is to cooking. :lol: Plus, I don't have a wide angle lens, so the P&S helps when my subjects are in tight spots - like a church on the corner of a narrow city street.

i use a Canon SD880 for two reason. 1 its small. 2 its a full auto monster.
this thing takes amazing pictures on full auto, which is what i want when using a point and shoot.

I have a P&S as a backup to my backup... lol The Nikon E8800 is what kicks around for me. Great little camera, shoots RAW, 10X zoom, 8X digital zoom (80X total) CF card support and 8MP size. Has VR, iTTL and what surprised me, pretty clean ISO 400, which is great for a camera of it's age.

It comes with me here and there when I want a little camera to just carry around.

I bought the SX110 for my wife and love it. Wanted something she could just point and shoot with and loved all the features it has. The 10x optical zoom was a great feature and like you said it has pretty quick glass. We have no regrets so far and it has taken some nice shots.

Thanks for the insight on the SX110 Nick, nice to know someone here has some personal experience with it.

Do you think it's a good (small) sidekick for a DSLR? I'm definitely digging the $249 price vs the $499 price of the others (Nikon P6000 and Canon G10).

Well I wish I could be of more help with a nice review but I don't have the expertise for it :lol:

I bought it for my wife for Christmas because the Fuji S7000 I used to use crapped out on us plus it was a big camera to haul around just for snapping pictures at birthday parties, bars, on the boat etc..... So I did a ton of reading (mainly comparing on Digital Camera Reviews and News: Digital Photography Review: Forums, Glossary, FAQ) and it seemed like the SX110 had all the great features and also had some manual settings I could play with for a fair price.

I only dabbled with the manual settings a few times before I realized it wouldn't satisfy my photography needs but I can say it has easily worked great for a P&S. The manual options are probably nice but if I'm going to mess with the manual stuff give me the big camera ya know?

For us it's been a great camera that we always have on us no matter where we go.

If you want me to take some photos in certain lighting or certain settings let me know and I'll snap some for you and send you full size images.

my wife has a sony h-10 that she will bring most everywhere we go, so if i dont feel like bringing my 'rig' she'll likely have that.
great cam...she loves it, and i was impressed myself.

My F100 is my point and shoot, I keep it in my car all the time with the 24-120VR on it. When I don't have the F100, my cell phone is ok. It's got AF with macro and makes pretty ok 3MP images.

If you want me to take some photos in certain lighting or certain settings let me know and I'll snap some for you and send you full size images.

Got little kids running sporadically around the house in poor lighting? If so, perfect! :lol:

My F100 is my point and shoot, I keep it in my car all the time with the 24-120VR on it. When I don't have the F100, my cell phone is ok. It's got AF with macro and makes pretty ok 3MP images.

One man's point and shoot is another man's primary body huh? :lol:

Panasonic LX3
Haven't seen one in person but seems to be missing some features I'd like, such as aperture priority.

It does have aperture priority. My friend has one. I currently don't have a p&s though if I were to get one, this would be one of my choices. Ricoh GRDII would be my other choice.

Usually my M6 is small enough to carry around with me, or my Canonet, which is even smaller.

id use my old t7 but the charger went missing :)

so thats a no .. either i bring my camera . or i use my friends g10's

Most reactions

Back