Do you have backpacking experience as a photographer? What backback to purchase...

cgennoe

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi, thanks for viewing my post!

I have actually been looking at the Lowepro site which have great backpacks, but is there a backpack that you know of that would not only carry my equipment, but my clothes, and everything else i would need to get away. Keeping my gear dry would be of utmost importance..

Here is my original thread that outlines my plan to backback Asia.
Thank you for taking a look!

In the near future I plan to teach English in Asia and backback through some of the many beautiful counties nearby. Something that I am very excited about! The prospect of merging photography with this endeavour is something I am carefully planning as having the right equipment will be critical to making the most of this epic journey.

My question is, drum roll please...which lens to purchase to supplement the 17-85 IS?

The prospective exposures/compositions that I will be charmed with will, no doubt, vary widely and will require a versatile lens fully capable of accomodating such diverse beauty. I am interested at two lenses primarily at this point:
-EF 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6L IS USM
-EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM

My concern with the 28-300 is the quality of photographs, especially near the min and max focal lengths. What do you think? I have read everything I can get my hands on to this point in entering the world of Digital SLR, but would certainly appreciate your more experienced perspective. If you were in my shoes, and ready to shoot landscape, people, wildlife, etc on such a journey, and were able to purchase just 1 lens before leaving, which would it be. Feel free to suggest a lens that I have not considered as well!

Appreciated beyond words,
-Colin

I do mountain / wilderness hiking for days and photo backpacks are useless for this. I usually have a backpack for hiking with all things things like tent, food , and so on and I have a separate bag on my front for a camera and two lenses.

tripod goes to the backapck, and so does the tele and the panorama head

here comes an illustration:

1290.jpg

How much weight are you carrying with that setup?

This is the Alpinist Escape (from Bergans), a 130 litre backpack. ( http://www.bergans.com/sider_eng/sekker_detalje.asp?sekkID=2095eng )

on my back my personal max so far was 31 kg, but that is not really fun anymore then ,but some situations require this. the front pack (camera + wide angle and standard zoom) does not exceed 2 kg by much I think. I usually walk with 2 walking poles then, especially when water has to be crossed with no bridges.

If you want to bring your gear on a backpacking trip you will have to make compromoses. Photography gear (as you know) is bulky and delicate and your backpacking gear is not made to carry it. I have never done what Alex B does as far as carrying gear but I do think it is a good system but you need to be prepared to have to carry alot of extra weight. For me I would find a soft place inside my backpack to stow mt camera and lash my tripod outside my backpack.

getting the whole thing on you back is quite an effort ;)

1233.jpg

but you need to be prepared to have to carry alot of extra weight.

Oh yes ... and there are moments when you hate yourself for being a photographer and being stupid enough to take all that extra gear with you ;)

I advise you train before the trip. especially when you have an office job.

This is the Alpinist Escape (from Bergans), a 130 litre backpack. ( http://www.bergans.com/sider_eng/sekker_detalje.asp?sekkID=2095eng )

on my back my personal max so far was 31 kg, but that is not really fun anymore then ,but some situations require this. the front pack (camera + wide angle and standard zoom) does not exceed 2 kg by much I think. I usually walk with 2 walking poles then, especially when water has to be crossed with no bridges.

I shall moan no more. I usually set up a base camp and strike out from there. My day pack with photo gear has grown to 12-15kg. If I can justify my groans only slightly, I have had a lower spinal fusion and three herniated discs in my neck. Did I mention I'm an old fart as well?

I shall moan no more. I usually set up a base camp and strike out from there.

That is actually always a good idea .. at least for myself I must say, that I am more creative and more concentrated when taking photos without the full weight on my back.

It's the only way that made sense to me. There's usually too many areas to visit. Find the middle and dig in. (hehehe) A days hike is all I'm aiming for these days.

I do like longer hikes ... above a week, but I hardly find time for that :(

This year was unfortunately spoiled as I had an accident with a car 5 weeks prior to a planned hike at the arctic circle. so I had to cut my plans down considerably and made it only 2 short valley hikes. actually those images where taken on one of those civilised expeditions ;)

this was on an earlier longer hike, but it does not really show the way I carry the camera gear.

sarek_071.jpg

Man...there might be an x-game for what you do Alex. Check ESPN 8 "the Ocho".:wink: Anyway, to the question at hand. It really depends on the amount of gear you want to carry, duration of hikes, etc. I have not ventured into the long treks yet, but dread the thought of carrying my Kata rucksack for more than a day. Built like a tank, but heavy as hell. You really do need to go to a store and try them out for size, carrying capacity, etc. See if the store will let you load it with some similar stuff you want on the trip and try it out. From your other threads, I figure just the body, 2-3 lenses and accessories. Lowepro, tamrac, kata are brands that come to mind.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back