Do you have protection?

Bitter Jeweler

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am putting this here because there are a lot of "beginners" accepting payment, even small payments, for their services.

I just want to ask if any of you have insurance protection, even if you are not claiming to be a business. For instance, you have 12 year old Jane sitting in a tree for her portrait, she falls out and breaks her arm. Who is responsible? Could you be sued?

What if you are doing the stereotypical family shoot at the train tracks, and little Johnny, trips and bangs his head on the track? Could you be sued?

If you are providing a service, in exchange for money, yes, you could.

Do you have a way to protect yourself? Umbrella policy?

Couldn't you just have people sign waivers before shoots, agreeing not to sue you if their clumsy half-wit child gets run over by a train?

Good advice Bitter.
On the flip side, I wonder if you can you use a pending lawsuit to prove you're a professional photographer?
Just looking for a silver lining ;)

Not yet though have been looking into it. I guess it is called something like self-insurance... paying out of pocket for losses instead of being insured. I don't think we are doing enough work to warrant carrying insurance yet.

Couldn't you just have people sign waivers before shoots, agreeing not to sue you if their clumsy half-wit child gets run over by a train?

A contract can have some different parts to help limit liability. Whether or not a court upholds it probably varies from place to place.

A contract can have some different parts to help limit liability. Whether or not a court upholds it probably varies from place to place.

I don't see why a court wouldn't uphold it. If a person signs something saying "I understand the potential risks and agree not to sue in the event of injury or death, blah blah" .. they have taken full responsibility. They understood the risks and made the conscious choice to proceed.

Now, if one of your lights fell down and gave a kid a concussion.. that's a different story. There I could see some level of responsibility of the photog.

Protection??? As Austin Powers said, "A nine millimeter automatic!"

I don't see why a court wouldn't uphold it. If a person signs something saying "I understand the potential risks and agree not to sue in the event of injury or death, blah blah" .. they have taken full responsibility. They understood the risks and made the conscious choice to proceed.

Now, if one of your lights fell down and gave a kid a concussion.. that's a different story. There I could see some level of responsibility of the photog.

I totally agree, but that doesn't mean a judge will. There are tons of examples of judges throwing out contracts or agreements, etc.

Best thing to do first, visit your attorney, some basic home insurance offer certain type of protection. Yes many people dont realize how much coverage is in the home insurance policy. But gotta tell them that you will use home for studio an pay like 200dlls more a year for premium an thats it. I use my house as a Bussines not photography, something else an iam protected.

Not yet though have been looking into it. I guess it is called something like self-insurance... paying out of pocket for losses instead of being insured. I don't think we are doing enough work to warrant carrying insurance yet.

I would at least get some quotes; a lawsuit could devastate you and your business, otherwise.

insurance through state farm for $10k equipment plus $1m liability = $350-$500 year incase anyone is looking for insurance

You need condoms for photography now? jeeeez... ANOTHER damn expense... :lol:

well i guess you would if you were in that kinda of photography....

We have a farm and ranch policy on our place since we also train horses. it is a 1 million liability it was only like $200 more than the 300k liability policy.

Self insurance is tailored for multi million dollar corporations. But I would still NEVER self insure. I know some people that self insured and they lost everything. It was a milk transport company and one of there trucks broke down on the road in the fog and a church van rear ended it killing everyone in the van and they lost absolutely everything over it.

If I were to get into it more than a hobby I would definately have the insurance. Waivers only get you so far. The crooked attorneys just turn it into a negligence suit.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back