Do you make your own desktop backgrounds?

I would say 75% of all desktop imagery is of my own creation. Now since photography is just one of my pastimes my backgrounds are not always photos somtimes they are purely 3 dimensional creations I have modeled as well.

To answer the original question though, yes I do take photos with the intent of making them into backgrounds.

Mine tend to be a little different ratio since I use two monitors (they are fitted in order for the image to be different on both screens rather then a tiled look.)

I just roll with the stock abstract image mostly. If I'm on my machine, I've got other things to be looking at anyway, and if I'm off it, the screen's off to save power, so I just don't bother.

I did use this for awhile at work because my monitor was on all day. It's a photo of my desk, showing my monitor with a photo of my desk, showing my monitor with a photo of my daughter in a subway with a train going by (motion blurred). I didn't take a screen shot while using it, but picture the image below with a few business type icons, and you have it.

Oh, and of course that was on the same desk, so it goes yet another layer deep in use. ;)

desktopatwork.jpg

35603188.jpg

This was for the Snow Leopard fan boys. I took this pic at the local zoo (and poetic justice, I now have a new MacBookPro 13" :) )

Last edited:
I just roll with the stock abstract image mostly. If I'm on my machine, I've got other things to be looking at anyway, and if I'm off it, the screen's off to save power, so I just don't bother.

I did use this for awhile at work because my monitor was on all day. It's a photo of my desk, showing my monitor with a photo of my desk, showing my monitor with a photo of my daughter in a subway with a train going by (motion blurred). I didn't take a screen shot while using it, but picture the image below with a few business type icons, and you have it.

Oh, and of course that was on the same desk, so it goes yet another layer deep in use. ;)

desktopatwork.jpg

Old school cell phone. I always wanted to make a wallpaper like that. Gonna have to try it when I get my 25" monitor back from the shop.

Every shot I process I also size as wallpaper for my monitor. I use Wallpaper Changer for Windows XP.

I dont have a shot of it set as my background on my desktop i have to get batteries for the camera. So i'll post a pic of this set as my background. But this is my background with all my icons
2066180_219803_9425f2105b_p.jpg

I dont have a shot of it set as my background on my desktop i have to get batteries for the camera. So i'll post a pic of this set as my background. But this is my background with all my icons
If you're thinking you need a camera to get a picture of the screen with the icons on it...

Not sure about if you're on a mac or pc, but on a pc just hit the "Print Screen" button while looking at the desktop with icons and it dumps a copy of what you see onto the clipboard. Then, go to your favorite photo editor, create a new document, paste, save as jpg, upload to wherever you post photos from, and you've got it - no batteries for camera needed.

I have 2 monitors, so I made this dual screen wallpaper from one of my sunset photos with photoshop. I used the polar coordinates tool.

4091771345_be99afcde2_b.jpg

I've never taken a picture with the idea that it would become my background, but I almost always do have my own pictures for my desktop.

screenshot.jpg

Not sure about if you're on a mac or pc, but on a pc just hit the "Print Screen" button while looking at the desktop with icons and it dumps a copy of what you see onto the clipboard. Then, go to your favorite photo editor, create a new document, paste, save as jpg, upload to wherever you post photos from, and you've got it - no batteries for camera needed.

I have done this as gags on people who leave their computer unsecure at work.

Move all the icons into a folder hidden in My Documents. Watch them go nuts trying to click on things. Move the task bar and hide it....:confused::confused::confused:

Not something you just do on a regular basis and you had best know the person you do it to really well.:lmao::lmao::lmao:

If the monitor has a web cam built in, the software lets you take pictures on a scheduled basis or if there is movement. Imagine the collection that comes up as they sit there working. Set the screen saver to start and use the folder with these images in it for the wall paper. Password protect it if you really want to mess with em....

Most reactions

New Topics

Back