Do you passionately love your job?

danalec99

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Apart from money and the perks, do you really love what you do at present?

I do absolutely love ONE of my jobs. One day a week I facilitate a childrens group at a domestic violence shelter. It's an hour long drive one way, and I'm only there for 4 hours...the pay is good, but barely covers the gas, but I would do it if I wasn't paid at all. (just don't tell them that) :) As we speak, we haven't had group since a week and a half before xmas, and I miss those kids so unbelievably much...I can't WAIT until tommorrow! :( I bet they've all grown 2 inches on me. :(

I don't. A non-creative field will never make me content.

Surprisingly I do. I am a life insurance underwriter and I like the challenges. I enjoy working with the agents and helping a way to get people insurance that they really need. It can be stressful and some times of the year require a lot of hours, but I feel that I am compensated well for what I do and my co-workers are great. I also feel I got excellent medical training when I started so that helps a lot.

I also love working as a photographer, it's a nice balance to the finance world. The hours are long, the pay non-existant but being welcomed into someones life for a day to capture their wedding, or a funny expression on their toddler's face is priceless. It's also a great feeling of pride to own your own business, at least then when you are working hard it is all for your own benefit :mrgreen:

danalec99 said:

danny boy, whats stopping you from doing the photo gig full time? you are downright awesome at weddings and functions..

md

MDowdey said:
danalec99 said:
danny boy, whats stopping you from doing the photo gig full time? you are downright awesome at weddings and functions..
md
Thats a great compliment...thanks Matt! :)

Yes, eventually I plan to stand on my own feet. Its only one life and I think one must follow his/her heart!

danalec99 said:
MDowdey said:
danalec99 said:
md
Thats a great compliment...thanks Matt! :)

Yes, eventually I plan to stand on my own feet. Its only one life and I think one must follow his/her heart!

your pics will lead you to that place that you want to go, trust me. the thing that will sell prints and a photographer's time, is the uniqueness of his art. youll do fine. im in the same boat, by this upcoming year'd end, i will have started selling prints.

md

one must follow his/her heart!
It's so hard to do that sometimes when you get caught up in $$$ figures... It's really hard for me because I'm pretty good at anything that has to do with being creative(which is probably the same case with most of us here) Unfortuniately that carreer isn't usually the one that will make you the most money.... If ya know what I mean....
I'm only 17 though.... so I have some time...

That's why I have two jobs, one that I enjoy and pays the bills and the other that satisfies the creative side :D

MDowdey said:
by this upcoming year'd end, i will have started selling prints.
Excellent, bro! :thumbsup: All the very best!

Its the passion and the drive to run after the dreams that one needs. The rest (money, happiness, peace, love etc) will follow.

i do enjoy my work but it gets extremely stressful at times. i have such a desire to do something with my photography (as a side line) but have absolutely no clue how to go about it. :oops: maybe one day all these postcard and calender companies will knock on my door and ask to see my stuff :lmao:

JonMikal said:
... maybe one day all these postcard and calender companies will knock on my door and ask to see my stuff :lmao:

Have you shown your work to anyone there? Your ability to capture DC is a great gift and should be shared, er.....sold actually.... with others!

Most reactions

Back