Do you regret anything?

anubis404

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Do you have any regrets about the gear you have purchased, or the company you bought in to?

I'll start with myself. I somewhat regret going Nikon, because they do not make an F4 70-200 zoom (aside from the MF one). I was at a trade show today, looking at an 80-200 AF-D F2.8, the guy next to me was looking at a Canon 70-200 F4. My price was $675, and his was $450. I don't really need the 2.8 aperture, and the small size of the F4 is a huge plus. I wish I didn't have to spend so much to get an 80-200.

So, what are your regrets, if any?

I regret selling my Canon New F-1 (all the other gear).

I should have kept that when I changed to Digital ... even though I may not have used it again.

That was the best camera I have ever had ... better than any 35mm AF or DSLR camera ... except maybe my Bronica SQ-A ... which I also regret selling.

I was at a trade show today, looking at an 80-200 AF-D F2.8, the guy next to me was looking at a Canon 70-200 F4. My price was $675, and his was $450.

First, that's an awesome price for the 70-200 f/4L.

I don't think you'll miss the range between 70 & 80mm, I'm not sure if you'll even notice it. I would consider 70-200 and 80-200 to be the same thing.

I shoot Canon, so I'm not really familar with the Nikon lenses; but if that 80-200 f/2.8 is comparable to the Canon version, that sounds like a sweet deal too.
(It sounds like the Nikon lens is actually the better deal.)

The only regret I have is that I wish I got the black body instead of the silver one.

Last edited:
First, that's an awesome price for the 70-200 f/4L.

I don't think you'll miss the range between 70 & 80mm, I'm not sure if you'll even notice it. I would consider 70-200 and 80-200 to be the same thing.

I shoot Canon, so I'm not really familar with the Nikon lenses; but if that 80-200 f/2.8 is comparable to the Canon version, that sounds like a sweet deal too.
(It sounds like the Nikon lens is actually the better deal.)

The only regret I have is that I wish I got the black body instead of the silver one.

Isn't the Nikon 70-200 the 80-200's replacement?

Canon has a 80-200 f/2.8 iirc.

I regret selling all my Tamron SP lenses a few years ago, with some new Adaptall Nikon mounts I could use all of them on my D40.

i regret thinking that the d40 would be "all i need"... i didnt realize that i would enjoy photography so much, and get so into it.. the d40, which i told my wife would be "all i need" is no where near what i need... i also have a d50, which i found at a pawn shop about a year after i got the d40, its deffinatly better than the 40, but still not what i need... d200 or 300 is in my future.

i regret thinking that the d40 would be "all i need"... i didnt realize that i would enjoy photography so much, and get so into it.. the d40, which i told my wife would be "all i need" is no where near what i need... i also have a d50, which i found at a pawn shop about a year after i got the d40, its deffinatly better than the 40, but still not what i need... d200 or 300 is in my future.

Same here. My first camera was the D40, and its cheap plasticy feeling, its lack of AF motor, and its undersized body were annoying. I upgraded to the D70s, which is all I need at the moment, as long as I don't plan on shooting in low light conditions.

Yes.

I regret buying the kit zooms with my K100D (I would have regretted any kit zoom of any brand). They are unimpressive on so many levels. This was well before I had my prime epiphany (and before I knew what a prime was), but still, I despise the 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6s of the world.

Even though I sold all of it yesterday and will likely be on an entirely new system in six months, I do not regret buying Pentax.

When I purchased the 20D ... nobody was close to features, sophistication and IQ in that price point. I was lucky because I knew little about digital equipment and that Canon used CMOS sensors in all their camera not just the most expensive like Nikon.

I shoot nearly all my stuff with available light at elevated ISOs, the IQ of the Nikon CCD sensors at elevated ISOs would have significately and adversely affected my passion for photography.

Gary

Last edited:
No. Research, research - and more research.

Also the 80-200 Push Pull or AF-D are worth the 500-600 you can find them for, and is most definitely worth saving up for.

Every purchase and every experience is a data point on our passion/enthusiast curve..

So, I would have to say that if I had it to do all over again, the only changes I would make are those that I learned from the experiences of those things that didn't work out exactly as I had planned..

So, no regrets, only reflections........:er:

Do you have any regrets about the gear you have purchased, or the company you bought in to?

Nope, I never feel buyer's remorse for one simple reason... I do my homework. People who are impulsive or do not research their purchases will regret what they did.

I somewhat regret going Nikon, because they do not make an F4 70-200 zoom (aside from the MF one). I don't really need the 2.8 aperture, and the small size of the F4 is a huge plus. I wish I didn't have to spend so much to get an 80-200.

It is not that you regret getting into Nikon's becuase they do not have an F4 70-200 (ick), it is becuase you do not have the money to play at the level that a good lens costs.

We *all* want the best becuase we know that any lens will always be better and sharper when stopped down a couple of stops over it's base setting. So, a 70-200 F/2.8 set to F/4 will give you better results than a 70-200 F/4 set to it's widest.

Work hard, save, RESEARCH your purchases and always get the best you can afford... you will never have buyer's remorse.

I say it almost everyday, and not just for photography but almost everything in my life... I would rather do without and save longer than accept the #2 on the list... becuase to me, I am well worth it.

Most reactions

Back