Do you regret anything?

Do you have any regrets about the gear you have purchased, or the company you bought in to?
No!!!!! I did my research. If you didn't (all that look at this thread with regret) ..... shame on you.

But it gives me blisters. :)

That was the main reason I went with the D60 over the XTi/XSi. The Canon just was not comfortable in my hands. I knew I could not go wrong with either Nikon or Canon, so I went with the most comfortable.

I regret that my husband does not understand the need to spend $2000 on a nice piece of glass!

I almost have the same problem, though my wife understands why we need a 400 2.8, just don't know where the funds will come from.

probably getting talked into a d60 at the local shop. I did some research, but I should've done more. The d40 and d60 are for all practical purposes, the same.... Expecially for someone who was just learning, I would'nt have noticed the difference. I am just getting to the point where the d60 is holding me back, even then I am still learning as I shoot different subjects and I can't justify a d300 just yet.

I still plan on moving up to a d300, but I could've saved a few bucks if I had picked up a d40 instead of a d60. Besides that, I am happy with what I've purchased.

i kind of regretted upgrading my body to a d300 before investing in better lenses, but got over that pretty quick once i realized that light has more effect on image quality rather than my body/glass

... and here for you in this case, you reached the point where the camera was more important than additional glass. This is the same that happened to me going from D200 to D700, but not before I had accumulated some excellent lenses. There comes a point where the best glass in the world cannot give you the results you need becuase the camera is the main limiting factor.

I was very often frustrated when taking photos in dark places, or any other low light scenario. Even when I was using strobes, I often had to crank them to 3/4 or full power and still not get quite the results that I wanted. With the D700, not only do ALL my lights work at a consistently lower power level (saving me batteries and increasing the life of the components), but I am getting the results that I want and more.

Now, for 95% of the people, camera before lens is not going to work for them... why? Because they are at a lower knowledge level and are not exploiting their current camera AND lens, much less a more expensive camera. However, once the knowledge does start getting into the head, normally the first thing that does become the limiting factor to getting good images *is* the lens because most people start off with kit lenses which are the lowest quality and most limiting all around. Of course it will be easy to make big increase in image quality over low quality and/or kit lenses.

Once lenses are no longer a limiting factor, or like in my case, *any* lens will not give the desired results, that is the time to move up to a better body. During this process, one accumulates good quality glass that will serve you now and in the future.

"They" say that when it comes to photography, there are 2 areas where you buy the best and buy only once... your lenses and your lighting. Cameras and other accessories are replaced and upgraded every few years.

I regret nothing!

Well, maybe that sammich I ate earlier today.

Well sense I ended up switching from Nikon to canon recently I would say I regret going Nikon in the first place.

I also regret buying Alien bees rather than expanding my SB-800 collection and then just saving up for a profoto kit.

I regret giving up my B&W enlarger..... I am happy with the outcome of scanning but it just isn't as fun.

I'd probably return to shooting more B&W negative if I still had it... I want to enjoy the whole process from beginning (shutter) to end (print).

My regret isn't really a big one but tho I love my 40d I wish I would've saved up more for a full frame sensor. At the time I researched I didn't fully understand what the crop meant and now that I've had experience with it it does get slightly annoying. But it's no big deal. I do plan to upgrade at some point when money allows. But for now I'm happy with what I chose.

Last edited:
Regrets? Such a variable concept. At one point I would say I had regrets, but now I say I had learning experiences.
I like the gear I have, and plan on expanding in the near future. So no regrets there.
If I had to say I had a regret it would be getting rid of my film stuff.

I regret not getting into photography earlier...

I don't really regret anything. But it IS annoying that one year after I bought my D80, I can get a D200 for less than I paid for the D80. And a D200 is what I really wanted at the time. I guess I'll just focus on lens collecting and wait until the D300 prices fall and upgrade then.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back