Watch the Birdy!
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.johnsphotography.ca
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
"Make a portrait", "Create a portrait", "Capture a portrait", or??? I'm never sure of how to phrase this, especially to clients. "I'm going to create your portrait" seems awfully pretentious, but "I'm going to take your picture" seems rather 'cell-phone snap' and 'why are you hiring me?'.

What do you say?

"Capture the essence of your being using a photon-collection device." :biggrin-93:

Actually, whom I'm saying it to will more determine what I actually say.

I will quite often refer to what I'm doing as "making a photograph". So you could say; "I'll be happy to make your portrait."

Make is the right word for me. May be I read Ansel Adams too much but he never said either take or create. He always say make.

I don't say anything..... it makes them fly away.

for some reason i look at portraits more as painting. Photography, why not just "i will photograph you"

i know, i know...

all photographers use the term "portraits". That is how they can charge 20 bucks for a 8x10

for some reason i look at portraits more as painting. Photography, why not just "i will photograph you"

i know, i know...

all photographers use the term "portraits". That is how they can charge 20 bucks for a 8x10
Really? That's how I charge $50+ for an 8x10

assuming the client understands the term "portrait" you're all set.

capturing your beauty (for female) or studliness (for guys) lol

it's all marketing word hype

I'm John the life photographer, I bring out and capture your internal beauty in my photographs ... thank God for PhotoShop !!

maybe leave out the last part lol

assuming the client understands the term "portrait" you're all set.

capturing your beauty (for female) or studliness (for guys) lol

it's all marketing word hype

I'm John the life photographer, I bring out and capture your internal beauty in my photographs ... thank God for PhotoShop !!

maybe leave out the last part lol
You're right, it is hype... 'Sitdown, shaddup... *click* okay, you're done. Next!"

It all comes down to differentiating you from the competition.
Of course proof is in the pudding but you have to convey that in your marketing somehow.

"Make a portrait", "Create a portrait", "Capture a portrait", or??? I'm never sure of how to phrase this, especially to clients. "I'm going to create your portrait" seems awfully pretentious, but "I'm going to take your picture" seems rather 'cell-phone snap' and 'why are you hiring me?'.

What do you say?
How does, "do a portrait" sound? I think it indicates the process is a bit more than "taking a picture," and sounds very natural. It also leaves some mystery in the process, while indicating you know what you are doing, and so could include both the art and the craft aspects going into the portrait. (This was not an auto-produced artist statement, although it may read like one.)

Scotty don't do portraits.

I'll ask some of the pros that come to the photo store/lab were I work how they ask and give the results.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back