Do you use a card reader?

The most important reason is that you never connect your very expensive and technically-finicky camera with your very expensive and technically-finicky computer via an electric cable. It only takes a small charge and one (or both) are fried. This is mission-critical if you're out in the field shooting, less so when you're a hobbyist at home.

Do not plug a cable into your camera. It's a left-over Me-Too feature from a few years ago when USB was the hot feature to have. Do it with a P&S, do NOT plug powered cables into your high-end gear.

I have to say that thats one of the most paranoid responses iv ever heard! haha! Maybe a few years back, this may have been a slight issue.
But id say that now its not really an issue.
Iv ben plugging and unplugging devices frm my PC and laptop for years, and iv never had any "sparks" come out and fry anything, but then again i look after my expensive gear and dont let it get moist or dusty, minimising the risks of such occurances, and also these days many electrical appliances (and most plugs) have surge protectors built in which stop this from happening.

Im not saying its completely risk free. But its kinda the same thing as saying "dont cross roads, there's a slight chance you might get run over"

Photog38......no matter what you do, there is 'wear-and-tear' on something.

Conventional wisdom says to use a card reader. It is so much easier and faster use this method.

All the reaching around, cabling up, extra desk space, then reversing the process is inconvenient at best.

CF cards are tough. I dropped more than a few, and even run a couple through the wash with no problems.

The camera and PC don't always 'play nice' with the different software they use.

Lose your PC/camera cable and yer' screwed.

I use the SanDisk ImageMate 12 in 1. I have never used the camera's software to download to my PC. I have had zero issues using the SanDisk hardware.

No. Laptop I have has a memory card reader. Fast, convenient. I don't even think about it.

USB 3.0! it transfers alot quicker then through the camera. I will fill 10 cards before I get the time to empty them so I have a few readers beside my NAS and I stick my cards in, it copies them over to 3 seperate folders to make sure it doesn't corrupt them when it moves them, formats the cards and then I can grab em and go when its done. then when I go and edit I simply delete the 2 extras and I am good to go. works pretty well so far.

I agree card readers are the way to go... the only problem is forgetting your card in your computer/card reader. :s
I have done that a few times. but I keep a 16GB on my keychain So as long as I don't forget that one too...

USB 3.0! it transfers alot quicker then through the camera. I will fill 10 cards before I get the time to empty them so I have a few readers beside my NAS and I stick my cards in, it copies them over to 3 seperate folders to make sure it doesn't corrupt them when it moves them, formats the cards and then I can grab em and go when its done. then when I go and edit I simply delete the 2 extras and I am good to go. works pretty well so far.

it's always good to look at dates before you post. This thread is 8 years old

I have read somewhere that it is best to use a card reader rather than your camera to transfer pictures to your computer. Is this true? It seems like it would be extra wear-and-tear on the camera and the card to insert it and remove it over and over. So how many use a card reader and how many do not?:confused:
I do remove the card from the camera, and then it goes in the SD slot on my Macbook Pro.

I don't use a card reader anymore as my new laptop has a SD slot. Most new computers have an SD slot, but not CF or mini-SD; and now that xD is long gone, no need for card readers.
I am now also using my old SD cards for back-up instead of buying USB drives, I keep them at the safe in the bank.

zombiethread1.jpg

Card readers are more convenient and quicker for me...besides that, non of my computers have a Compact Flash slots. Anyhow, I simply swap in a set of empty cards and place the work/full cards in my work flow stack. This way my camera is always ready to go. I upload the new files to my multiple back up system, delete cards, and return them to ready status.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back