Do you use the same settings for sunrise as you do for sunset?

Gunflint Trail

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit

G'day GT

Firstly - Welcome to the Photography Forum ~ you will find plenty of others here who are keen photographers and also willing to help beginners in many ways

To answer your Q ... as Razky has replied above - you will never use the same settings as the weather / sun's brightness / clouds / location - are always a bit different, and so your exposure / amount of zoom lens used / etc. etc. will all be fine-tuned for each subject

Whatever you do, try to avoid over-exposure as by doing that you will bleach the beautiful colours of the scene. When I am shooting sunrise / sunset scenes I will always alter the EV+/- button down to minus 2/3 or minus 1,0 EV to prevent any bleaching of the colours

Hope this helps
Phil

Good advice so far. I shoot raw for widest possible dynamic range. I start by taking a test shot and looking at the histograms and adjust accordingly. Note: the histogram is of a jpg the camera makes internally. Then I almost always bracket for 5 shots total. -3 stops, -1 1/2 stops, best exposure, +1 1/2 stops and +3 stops. One of the exposures might be a great shot, but if not, I have plenty to blend together in PhotoShop.

When shooting a sunrise or sunset, you'll generally want to use a low to mid-range ISO setting, like 200, 400 or 800.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back