What's new

Does a memory card make a difference

the sandisk ultra and extreme will improve the recovery time of the camera and the transfer speed to the computer. i use a normal sd cards. nothing fancy and they work fine. best buy has 8gb sandisk for 24.99. cheaper than the 4gb at the moment
 
I have a SanDisk 2GB card, and looked through my D-90 manual. Both the card and the manual makes no mention of what "class" it is. I haven't shot any continuous (4+FPS)yet, and am shooting in JPEG Fine. Never the less, I'm confused as to how to find out what class it is, and if it makes any difference if it's higher quality card. Is this really important to know (for an amature) or should I just forget it?

Tom Beard
 
I have a SanDisk 2GB card, and looked through my D-90 manual. Both the card and the manual makes no mention of what "class" it is. I haven't shot any continuous (4+FPS)yet, and am shooting in JPEG Fine. Never the less, I'm confused as to how to find out what class it is, and if it makes any difference if it's higher quality card. Is this really important to know (for an amature) or should I just forget it?

Tom Beard
If you don't notice it slowing you down, don't worry about it.
 
I have a couple 8gb @ 30MB/s. I had also thought about getting a slow and larger card to save money. I stuck with the faster card as I thought I need them for sports.

To the best of my knowlege, they will last a long time. So, I feel good with spending a little more.
 
I have a couple 8gb @ 30MB/s. I had also thought about getting a slow and larger card to save money. I stuck with the faster card as I thought I need them for sports.

To the best of my knowlege, they will last a long time. So, I feel good with spending a little more.
You have CF in your D90? :scratch:
 
I want a good decent 4 or 8 G memory card
 
My price range is no more then 50 bucks because i am still saving up for a flash, what do you guys recommend?
 
Go to the Rob Galbraith web site, and check out the CF/SD Performance Database page. it has the performance characteristics of many cards,in specific camera models, listed in a very easy to read format. Rob Galbraith DPI: CF/SD Performance Database

Use the pull-down menu to select your camera, and then the data comes up. Very valuable resource, with exact timings on card performance!
 
My camera is not at that price range to be up there ahha. After a year or so I do plan on upgrading my Camera Body though.
 
My price range is no more then 50 bucks because i am still saving up for a flash, what do you guys recommend?
Get yourself a name brand card, at least Class 4, Class 6 if you can afford it. You really won't notice the difference (most likely), so long as you don't get a complete trash card, and you'll come way under that price range. Spend all your money somewhere other than the memory card.
 
My price range is no more then 50 bucks because i am still saving up for a flash, what do you guys recommend?
Get yourself a name brand card, at least Class 4, Class 6 if you can afford it. You really won't notice the difference (most likely), so long as you don't get a complete trash card, and you'll come way under that price range.

Money ain't a thing but I just don't want to spend to much on a memory card.
 
If you're not going to use the camera for continuous shooting then any card will do. If you want to be a little "safe" get a faster card. I bought a PNY 8 Gb card at Best Buy for $25.00, it's a class 4 card. I took a series of shots at "low continuous" on my D90 with a Jpeg fine setting and it took about 2 seconds for the camera to stop loading onto the card after taking 4 shots. If you shoot Jpeg normal it uses less memory (less loading time), if you shoot raw it will take more time. Remember the camera has a buffer as well so it can take shots even if you are not 100% loaded onto the card. Once the buffer is full, the camera will not take any more photos.

BTW, Amazon has a Transcend 8 Gb class 6 for a great price. Here's the link: [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Transcend-Class-Flash-Memory-TS8GSDHC6/dp/B000P9ZBFA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1272680282&sr=8-1]Amazon.com: Transcend 8 GB Class 6 SDHC Flash Memory Card TS8GSDHC6: Electronics[/ame]

Buy 1 for now but plan on getting at least a second.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom