Does a memory card make a difference

My setting right now is on Fine Jpeg, my passion is car and nature photography, so what do you recommend?

The link that Goontz gave has a patriot 8 Gb class 6 card for $20 + $3 shipping, the transcend card at Amamzon is about $22 - both are fast and cheap. You have a 2 Gb card now, with the 8Gb you should be set, 8 Gb on fine will give you about 1000 photos. You may not get into continuous shooting for a while and class 6 will be fast enough for now.

What's better class level or the mb levels?

MB = How much (or how many pictures) you can store on a card. Class = how fast the card can store and transfer data. In my opinion, the speed is more important.

You got the best of both with those 2 choices ... Camera can only take so many frames per second, class 6 stores 6 Mb/sec. 1000 photos are a lot of photos (Nikon claims a D90 battery can take about 850 photos per charge). 2 reasons to get a few memory cards - need more room and in case one gets buggy. Going on a weeks vacation may require you to use more than 1 card; having a spare will make a non functional card not ruin taking photos. Downloading 1000 photos is going to be a pain so theroretically you want to get them off the camera as quickly as possible.

If something matters more to you, then it's your decision. Personally I would not want to have 1 card of 32 Gb to hold 4000 photos and not have a backup in case the card fails.

Brian, I love how you have listed your memory card as part of your gear.

Also, on that note, I do think you're putting way too much thought and weight into your memory card decision, but I'm also trying to provide helpful links and informationn.

AHHA, well I just want to know which is the best choice to get, and someone did told me that a memory card does affect your picture/camera so I just want to make sure.

AHHA, well I just want to know which is the best choice to get, and someone did told me that a memory card does affect your picture/camera so I just want to make sure.

The only thing that it affects is how fast your camera can transfer to the card, or your card can transfer to the computer. Don't worry about it too much! :thumbup:

The only thing that it affects is how fast your camera can transfer to the card, or your card can transfer to the computer. Don't worry about it too much! :thumbup:

Alright, thanks man!

Memory cards do NOT affect your photos 99.9% of the time, they only affect your photos when they become unstable and they lose their memory. They only affect how many photos that can be stored and how fast they can be stored/transfered. If you take 1 photo a day every other day the slowest card will work and if you downloaded the photos once a week a 1 Gb card is all you need. But if you plan to shoot the action at the Indy 500 at the highest frames per second then you better get the fastest and highest Mb card you can get. These cards are just to hold your photos, all the manipulations are done either by your camera or by the software on your computer.

Mostly likey I will need more then 1 G because I do plan on going to car meet to take pictures/ coverage the show.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back