Does anybod own a Canon 50mm 1.0?

haring

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Does anybody here own a Canon 50mm 1.0? I am just curious what you think about it... I know there are some reviews on the internet but I am interested in your personal opinion...Any better than any of the Canon 50mm lenses?

Thanks!

The 50mm f/1 is slow focusing and not as sharp as the f/1.4 (or even the f/1.8) at several times the price. Its also heavy. Its a speciality item...

I"m not going to say its a waste of money (I have a Noctilux) but its definitely a specialty item.. You might like it, but will also want a "normal" 50mm for most use.

One used one was for sale for a while (can't remember which store).. it was listed at $5000 and stayed their for years.

Id loooove Nikon to make a model of this!

Flickr: The 50 mm f 1.0 L Pool

Mark

Honestly what's the point? I looked through a lot of those pics from the Flickr page and A LOT of them are miss focused, which is easy to see when your at f/1. Also these images are not tack sharp even at low resolution. There's no comparison to the f/1.2L. Honestly, I think this is just one of those "we built it cause we can" but that doesn't mean it performs great or it's practical.

Id loooove Nikon to make a model of this!

Flickr: The 50 mm f 1.0 L Pool

Mark

Honestly what's the point? I looked through a lot of those pics from the Flickr page and A LOT of them are miss focused, which is easy to see when your at f/1. Also these images are not tack sharp even at low resolution. There's no comparison to the f/1.2L. Honestly, I think this is just one of those "we built it cause we can" but that doesn't mean it performs great or it's practical.

Missed focus is because 50mm f/1 is a royal PITA to nail... DOF is really shallow. I asked the guy who was showing me the lens years ago and I said the same thing "Why?". He did say that the extra aperture often meant the difference between somewhat soft shot and nothing at all. I kinda now understood what he meant (film days... no 128000 ISO). Some use it as part of the style they intend on the picture.

My much slower but fast focusing, sharper and much more compact 50mm f/2.5 gets a ton more usage than the noctilux.

...I have a Noctilux...

Now that's the lens to have!!! sample pics??

This is the older Noctilux f/1 non-Asph. (known for "Character" kinda like the crack in the wall that supposedly gives the house character... :) ) I'll have to dig some up.

Here's the most recent.. Experimenting with ND filter to use it wide open in daylight

L1002157.jpg

Here's one of the few that I nailed focus... so it can be sharp

L1002518.jpg

Another with ND filter out in bright daylight.. CA is much better controlled with the newer Asph version.

L1001445.jpg

Very common with most ultra fast glass that I"ve shot with...

I'll have to see if I can find more... lens does not provide EXIF data so you have to search LR visually.

Oh yeh.. forgot..

I took it with me mounted on an R-D1 to the hospital when my son was born. Didn't want to use flash (to disturb baby and others) and hospital was dimly lit.

209756952.jpg

210016419.jpg

I have to admit a fair number of misses... Shallow DOF means even "leaning" into the shot can leave the eyes out of focus.

One last sample... Notice the eyes and nose is in focus but the ears quickly blurr out of focus.

2008001.jpg

Still have fun with it and its worth far more than I paid for it.. so it stays but it doesn't replace my more "traditional" and more usable 50mm.

Last edited:
I had a Canon 50mm f/1.2 and it is a great lens to have. I wish I had a Nikon mount of the lens. Would have been great.

...I have a Noctilux...

Now that's the lens to have!!! sample pics??

This is the older Noctilux f/1 non-Asph. (known for "Character" kinda like the crack in the wall that supposedly gives the house character... :) ) I'll have to dig some up.

Here's the most recent.. Experimenting with ND filter to use it wide open in daylight

L1002157.jpg

Here's one of the few that I nailed focus... so it can be sharp

L1002518.jpg

Another with ND filter out in bright daylight.. CA is much better controlled with the newer Asph version.

L1001445.jpg

Very common with most ultra fast glass that I"ve shot with...

I'll have to see if I can find more... lens does not provide EXIF data so you have to search LR visually.

I LOVE the bookeh!!!

Oh yeh.. forgot..

I took it with me mounted on an R-D1 to the hospital when my son was born. Didn't want to use flash (to disturb baby and others) and hospital was dimly lit.

209756952.jpg

210016419.jpg

I have to admit a fair number of misses... Shallow DOF means even "leaning" into the shot can leave the eyes out of focus.

One last sample... Notice the eyes and nose is in focus but the ears quickly blurr out of focus.

2008001.jpg

Still have fun with it and its worth far more than I paid for it.. so it stays but it doesn't replace my more "traditional" and more usable 50mm.

WOW! How much is this lens?

I purchased the Noctilux (version 2) used for $2200 USD in NYC (I'm guessin) 2005 timeframe. Its worth $5000+ USD now on the used market. If you are interested, bergencountycamera.com (local leica dealer for me) has one listed (11/6/2010) used for $5000 but they don't last long.

Everything has shifted up and past my budget now in terms of cost... The latest version of the 50mm f/1.4 Summilux Asph and even the 50mm f/2 Summicron now costs more than my Noctilux even used. Luckily, I'm pretty content with what I have optics wise.

The newest version of the Noctilux 50mm f/0.95 is now aspherical in design costs $10,000+ USD. Just a few years ago, Leica shooters in the US would have puked at the idea of a lens at that price.... I guess times have changed and we have grown accustomed to the weak dollar.

I should have ignored stock trading and bought Leica glass instead.... as an investment. (sorry.. my little rant)

I had the 1/2 for a little while and it was the most amazing Bokeh ever. I almost got an adapter to use it on my d300 but did not here good things about it. Solid rock lens for sure. IT was hard to get spot on focused as it was MF but it was cool none the less.

Most reactions

Back