Does anybody collect knives or tools?

Dogs head is an awesome knife! I believe the champion and Swiss champ are similar with subtle differences. Do you still use it?
When I go adventure hiking I put one Kabar inside my Alice Pack frame. I also keep a Gransfors Bruks Trekking Axe back there, which is another nice knife with a purpose :)

The Victorinox Champion stays home. I still use it for misc duties. I still have the original box it came in which included a leather sheath and sharpener rod.

The "Dogs Head" is the butt of the knife - rear finger guard and lanyard hole. It's not round like the normal ones.
I have this one ==> KA-BAR KNIVES-TOMAR'S- 1317 DOG’S HEAD Collectable Straight Edge Fighting Utility Knife.
versus a standard one with a regular butt end ==> TOMAR'S KA-BAR KNIVES-1220 Original U.S. ARMY Straight Edge Fighting Utility Knife

and also a D2 with Dogs Head ==> KA-BAR KNIVES-TOMAR'S-1282 D2 Extreme Ultimate Fighting Utility Knife with Plastic Sheath

Last edited:
Dogs head is an awesome knife! I believe the champion and Swiss champ are similar with subtle differences. Do you still use it?
When I go adventure hiking I put one Kabar inside my Alice Pack frame. I also keep a Gransfors Bruks Trekking Axe back there, which is another nice knife with a purpose :)

The Victorinox Champion stays home. I still use it for misc duties. I still have the original box it came in which included a leather sheath and sharpener rod.

The "Dogs Head" is the butt of the knife - rear finger guard and lanyard hole. It's not round like the normal ones.
I have this one ==> KA-BAR KNIVES-TOMAR'S- 1317 DOG’S HEAD Collectable Straight Edge Fighting Utility Knife.
versus a standard one with a regular butt end ==> TOMAR'S KA-BAR KNIVES-1220 Original U.S. ARMY Straight Edge Fighting Utility Knife

and also a D2 with Dogs Head ==> KA-BAR KNIVES-TOMAR'S-1282 D2 Extreme Ultimate Fighting Utility Knife with Plastic Sheath
Yes, the dogs head was a variation of the original "usmc fighting knife". Kabar really made a name for itself. I haven't owned one but have handled a few, even an original. Great history with them. You've got what you need in those two knives, Grans is also a great company.

Yes, the dogs head was a variation of the original "usmc fighting knife". Kabar really made a name for itself. I haven't owned one but have handled a few, even an original. Great history with them. You've got what you need in those two knives, Grans is also a great company.
They're really nice Utility knives and hold a sharp edge really well.
A few other name brands I have don't hold a sharp edge very long and need constant resharpening. I figured might as well spend $40 more and get ones that function much better and last a lot longer. The Gransfors axe was a bit more $$$ but it was more versatile option than a "V" shaped knife for cutting/splitting wood.

For an outdoor knife, I prefer the Buck 110 with the older scales and bolsters, built before they rounded the corners. My favorite is a Buck 110 with stag scales. I have at least 10 110's in my collection.

In my pocket I carry a Benchmark, Mel Pardue design, with a 1/2 serrated blade.

For an outdoor knife, I prefer the Buck 110 with the older scales and bolsters, built before they rounded the corners. My favorite is a Buck 110 with stag scales. I have at least 10 110's in my collection.

In my pocket I carry a Benchmark, Mel Pardue design, with a 1/2 serrated blade.
Per your 110's, what are the date codes on them, or do they not have any? I'm curious foe far back they go. I know the specific model you're talking about, my 110 is way newer, but I've held the older style. Seems to me the more square ones were also a bit thinner.

Per your 110's, what are the date codes on them, or do they not have any? I'm curious foe far back they go. I know the specific model you're talking about, my 110 is way newer, but I've held the older style. Seems to me the more square ones were also a bit thinner.

My stag scaled buck is from 1988. My oldest 110 has the upside down maker stamp; I inherited it from my brother, and he bought it in 1970 (still have the receipt). I have the 110 I bought in 1974. I also own all four of the "dot". I do have a couple made since the bolster/scales change.

I guess the feel is just personal. The older models just seem to have a better heft to them.

Used to collect old knives and lighters. Before I got married and had kids. Sold most of it to my brother. He still has them and continues to add to it.

I did keep an old German made hunting knife, and a pocket knife my grandfather gave me just before he passed. From what I've found, it's made by Imperial Knife Company. A two blade, Barlow style knife with real wood on the sides. Don't keep it real sharp. Some days its a screwdriver. Some days it scrapes gaskets off a carb or motor I'm working on. But it's been in my pocket, every day, for over 40 years. (And a few times through the wash) Got me out of more jams than I can count.

A bit more practical these days. Have three knives for hunting and three for fishing. Just don't ask about the kitchen knives.

Used to collect old knives and lighters. Before I got married and had kids. Sold most of it to my brother. He still has them and continues to add to it.

I did keep an old German made hunting knife, and a pocket knife my grandfather gave me just before he passed. From what I've found, it's made by Imperial Knife Company. A two blade, Barlow style knife with real wood on the sides. Don't keep it real sharp. Some days its a screwdriver. Some days it scrapes gaskets off a carb or motor I'm working on. But it's been in my pocket, every day, for over 40 years. (And a few times through the wash) Got me out of more jams than I can count.

A bit more practical these days. Have three knives for hunting and three for fishing. Just don't ask about the kitchen knives.
Lol. One good pocket knife is all you need, you know you can depend on it. I've used my ESEE 4 for everything, it even carries well in edc. I carry it upside down on my right side on my belt. Can't even see it but it's easy to get in and out.

IMG_9161.JPG
IMG_9160.JPG
IMG_9159.JPG
IMG_9158.JPG

Gotta love victorinox. Those saws cut amazing. I bought a swisschamp locally and ended up giving it to my brother when i realized the magnifying glass was now made out of plastic and ended up ordering another online of the "older" style like yours. It's less magnification but does just fine for what i need, and it's glass. They no longer do the adjustable screw on the jointed tools like the scissors, pliers, etc. My first knife i got when i was 9 was a mini champ and it had the adjustable scissor screw. Now they're riveted. I want to say mine also includes a small eyeglass screwdriver in the corkscrew, a pin in the scale by where the cork screw pivots, a parcel hook, a chisel (unless that's a chisel next to the cork screw, in which case mine has a long flathead), pliers and a fish scaler. My perfect one would be all that the huntsman is with a file and the pliers. I can leave the cork screw, i love the philips like pictured above and i don't really use the small blade. I wish they'd have an option to make a custom one! But i do know that only certain tools can go on certain layers because of the way the tools pivot and the way the back springs are positioned. Maybe one day.

Gotta love victorinox. Those saws cut amazing. I bought a swisschamp locally and ended up giving it to my brother when i realized the magnifying glass was now made out of plastic and ended up ordering another online of the "older" style like yours. It's less magnification but does just fine for what i need, and it's glass. They no longer do the adjustable screw on the jointed tools like the scissors, pliers, etc. My first knife i got when i was 9 was a mini champ and it had the adjustable scissor screw. Now they're riveted. I want to say mine also includes a small eyeglass screwdriver in the corkscrew, a pin in the scale by where the cork screw pivots, a parcel hook, a chisel (unless that's a chisel next to the cork screw, in which case mine has a long flathead), pliers and a fish scaler. My perfect one would be all that the huntsman is with a file and the pliers. I can leave the cork screw, i love the philips like pictured above and i don't really use the small blade. I wish they'd have an option to make a custom one! But i do know that only certain tools can go on certain layers because of the way the tools pivot and the way the back springs are positioned. Maybe one day.
That saw is amazing.
Just cuts through even fairly thick branches for it's size with ease.

I forgot about the fish dehooker and descaler and inches/cm scale
IMG_9162.JPG

I forgot the pen too :). Pen, tweezers, toothpick.

Most reactions

Back