Does anybody collect knives or tools?

A couple of my favorite knives are older than me, and are carbon steel, not the newer stainless steel. Old, wood handles, riveted on,etc. EASY and fast to sharpen. On a ceramic sharpener, the older carbon steel knife blades sharpen easily, and I think, with less metal removed from the blade than on most whetstones. To me the ceramic sharpening device I have is like a hard,white Arkansas stone, but works better.

thanks for the tip about ceramic sharpeners.
most of you probably know of A.G. Russell knives. it is safe to request their catalog as long as you are not a collector. LOL A. G. Russell: Your Source for Knives & Accessories
I love their portable chef's knife. i always take it on vacation and usually to a party in case i'm asked to help in the kitchen, which is most of the time. very sharp and even tho a folder, fairly comfy in the hand.
p.s. every kitchen should have their giant tweezers. use them every day.

Attachments

• _RAL0200.jpg
    _RAL0200.jpg
    207.6 KB · Views: 141
Ceramic knives are extremely sharp but chip easily if you hit anything too hard like bone, glass, etc.

most of you probably know of A.G. Russell knives. it is safe to request their catalog as long as you are not a collector. LOL A. G. Russell: Your Source for Knives & Accessories
I love their portable chef's knife. i always take it on vacation and usually to a party in case i'm asked to help in the kitchen, which is most of the time. very sharp and even tho a folder, fairly comfy in the hand.
a 1999 colorized ASE ?

I'm not really a collector but I do have a small collection of knives and a quite large collection of tools.

Most of my knives are unbranded and I just bought them because I liked them but my favorites are my Victorinox Swiss Champ (in black) which I have had since I was 15, a Leatherman multi tool that my partner got me when we first got together (she made a really good choice with that one!), a Rapala filleting knife (my fishing knife), a 2.5" wood handled lockback that I picked up at a flea market in South Africa (inexpensive but the shape on it is awesome), a wood handled sheathed knife I picked up in Finland, a 12" throwing knife, an antique cutthroat razor (from Whipped Dog) and yes I do shave with it, and most recently a Leatherman micra. My kitchen knives are Globals (and are most fantastic) though I have an assortment of others they are the ones I use all the time.

My good tools are either from my apprenticehip or have been passed on to me. My most prized ones are old but have really good shapes to them (manufactured back in the day when people actually made stuff and a well shaped tool was important).

My most used one is probably my Leatherman followed by my Victorinox. I also like shooting airguns.

My cooking knives include a ceramic knife for fruits and vegetables only. Ceramic knives do chip easy so should not be used for chopping or on meats. My cooking knives include a 10" chefs knife, 7" Santaku, a 6" general purpose, a good boning knife, a serrated vegetable knife along with the ceramic knife and 3 paring knives as well as a good quality honing steel to keep the cutting edges straight.

Last edited:
I love buying Painted Ladies. They are cheaper, most I take the paint of though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

now i know what to put on my birthday list! A.G. Russell Ceramic Sharpening Rods

THis type is predicated on pushing the blade "downward" along the rod...there are other types in which the rods are smaller, and are closer together, forming a much narrower "V" shape, and in which the blade is simply placed, then pulled backwards or pushed forward, along the length of the blade, from the tang area, and then toward the tip. You can stop by a Harbor Freight Tools and buy one of these ceramic "V" tools for $5.99. AMAZING. On an older carbon-steel blade like my multiple butcher's knives or boning knives from the 70's, five pulls of the blade thru the ceramic V brings an edge that will fillet a salmon without any mishaps, and in my opinion, is easier, since the "angle" is one, simple angle, for both edges, and does not depend on maintaining a complex downward angle on two, separated ceramic rods.

In the Russel system, the operator must maintain the angle of the downward stroke,consistently, on two, seaprated rods....in the older type ceramic "V", which has been around for 60 years or so, you just "pull back on the whole knife", keeping the top of the handle level...the V bottom itself is the sharpening edge...the Russel system is basically, back to whetsone-era-tech, in which the skill of the operator plays a big part in the type of edge you get.

Last edited:
If you're going to use a pull through "V" sharpener for the love of god, if you must, please just buy the white ceramic type for bringing back a not so dulled edge. I beg you to not buy the carbide pull through metal type sharpeners, they ruin knives and will take off way more metal than needed. Basically like throwing mud on your camera sensor if i could put it as simply as it is to someone who sharpens a knife by other means lol.

If you're going to use a pull through "V" sharpener for the love of god, if you must, please just buy the white ceramic type for bringing back a not so dulled edge. I beg you to not buy the carbide pull through metal type sharpeners, they ruin knives and will take off way more metal than needed. Basically like throwing mud on your camera sensor if i could put it as simply as it is to someone who sharpens a knife by other means lol.

EXACTLY!!!! Get the ceramic type! Those carbide things are awful! Those old metal ones really do take a lot of metal off. The ceramic rods remove very,very little metal...the carbide type are like talking a mill bastard file to a blade! No bueno!

As with most things, learning to use a sharpener properly means everything. A good quality carbide pull through is perfectly good to use and will put an extremely sharp edge on a knife. The proper edge angle is a must for good knifes.

As with most things, learning to use a sharpener properly means everything. A good quality carbide pull through is perfectly good to use and will put an extremely sharp edge on a knife. The proper edge angle is a must for good knifes.
I can't agree with you there... pull through sharpeners work back to front and tear the edge. And the sound they make gives me chills even with the lightest pressure

I can't agree with you there... pull through sharpeners work back to front and tear the edge. And the sound they make gives me chills even with the lightest pressure
Agree or not makes no matter to me. Quality in properly used = quality out. There is a big difference between a $5.99 Harbor freight sharpener and a $70.00 sharpener. The sharpening edge on my linked to sharpener above is as smooth as most carbide sharpener rods. If I used it everyday I would have paid for the stainless steel version at twice the price. If you really want to know what works and doesn't you need to sharpen then examine the edge under high magnification. My knives are as sharp as can be and stay that way.

Most reactions

Back