Does anyone do "as shot" photos any more?

Once again, it is really not a debate, It is more of a thought process about showing what you want to show. I like showing what I see, others see a frame work for additional artistic endeavor.

Cropping, exposer adjustments, dodging and burning are the standard old school corrections to photos. Creating a new scene from a negative could be done with double exposures, negative splicing and penciling in areas of the negative, etc. These use to required a considerable darkroom time commitment. Digital has greatly simplified that putting the once difficult within easy reach.

With the advent of technology making photo manipulation so easy, even I am capable of playing with it. But for me it is a toy not a tool. Others find it a Godsend. Hence, I was just curious how many folk preferred to use the photo as shot.

When I first got into photography beyond drug store color prints and slides, I used black and white and did my own enlarging. My first pictures were enlarger cropped, which as far as I looked at it was "tinkered with".

Just lately I have posted pictures "here" that have only been resized, and quite a few of them I have been happy with. Others that I have posted to illustrate issues, and sometimes those are less than wonderful pictures. But the ones I actually like that are coming straight out of camera, I think are the result that I am getting used to what the various equipment is doing, so the pictures are turning out more the way I expect them to and wanted them to. So at least for now, I am back to being satisfied with at least some of the out of camera JPEGs. But then again, I will still keep RAW files when I can.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back